Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get a 45 70 i like the sbl it has xs sight and scope rail standard but how much more work is the stainless compared to blued?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I reckon about half the work, if your talking about maintaining and looking pretty.
My 336ss is my first stainless gun, I have several blued & wood (haven't got any synthetic yet) . I decided to go stainless after spending a few nights riding in the back of a ute in the rain with a mates stainless ruger .22mag looking for some dogs that we're terrorising the local chooks. If I'd had one of my blue guns it'd be a full strip & clean each night, the ruger got a quick wipe to dry it and that was it.
Any marks are fixed with a 'scotch brite', no worries about buggering blue on screw heads, no worries about humidity. I regularly fully strip the 336 and reckon I'd have scratches all over it if it was blue. A mate of mine took his new blue 336 on it's fist hunting trip and got a big scratch on side of receiver then sent it of to be reblued when he got home, couple of minutes with a scotch brite would've fixed that on a stainless one

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bugger went to cleavers today and got the gbl. it will match the 336bl. I liked the sbl it looks great.thanks for the reply brett.now I just have to get out and use them. I put skinner tact sights on the 336 prob do the same with the 45 70. got the hornady leverevolution ftx ammo for it for 39.00 a box. whats the average price for 45 70 ammo?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Tough choice! I like them both! Blue guns are easier to see the scratches, but they are also VERY easy to hide them! You will LOVE the GBL!
Top is a GBL, then the SBL, and a customized 336 in 35Rem. Top and bottom rifle are both blued and I don't think you could go wrong with either!

·
Registered
289 Posts
A mate of mine took his new blue 336 on it's fist hunting trip and got a big scratch on side of receiver then sent it of to be reblued when he got home,
He would hate mine then, 20 plus years of being carried and used has resulted in numerous scratches and bluing worn off. To me they now look like a LA should with a nice well used patina to them.
I cant understand the fascination with trying to keep firearms looking new, its not like they are purchased as an investment, I buy mine to be shot and used and enjoyed, any scars they receive in the field are proudly worn.

I see the same thing at the local pistol club, plenty of blokes wont make minor modifications that would improve their scores because it might effect resale value. They get frustrated with the way they shoot and will spend plenty of dollars chasing improvements but are worried about losing $50-100 on resale on a firearm they have no intention of selling anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice rifles mazer. 220 my rifles are scrub guns b ut like to keep them clean when finished but not scared to throw em around. will be keepers so not interested in resale. I know what you mean though everyone is trying to get top dollar for their gear even iif it doesn't hold value. a lot of overpriced stuff around.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah mate, I'm the same, I look after them but if they pick up a scratch in a fall or as with a few of them the blueing or stock finish gets worn from the scabbard, rack or carrying Im not in tears.
I'm also not worried about modifying the sights, LOP or even grips on a handgun if it improves my shooting.

If you keep them long enough then you will eventually get as much as you paid for them lol

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My plan for my current blued one is sort out the last details and then cerracote it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
took the 4570 out sat night. fired 3 shots off. every time went to reload the lever stuck when ejecting shell so I took it to the gunsmith and he will sort it out. other wise I loved it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he will call and let me know when he has a look will post it then. he did say he has seen a 336 do the same thing so he has an idea of what the problem might be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts