Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Its effective range is pretty much limited only by the person shooting it...but for most applications, 200 yards...300 at the most.

That said...it will knock the stuffin out of a deer at 600 yards and beyond, if a person can accurately estimate the range and apply the proper "dope".

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Strictly from a ballistics point of view 200 yards is easily attainable and at 300 yards that big bullet will still kill anything it hits. BUT point that baby up at 45 degrees and shoot I bet that bullet doesn't hit the ground for a mile or more. . . . . . I wouldn't want to be standing where it hit! In all seriousness I bet you could hit a steel plate 500 - 600 yards out if you shot a few times on a calm day with a good solid bench rest.

Cartridge ([email protected]) Bullet BC 100 yds. 200 yds. [email protected] MPBR (yds.)
.45-70 (300 HP at 1800) .197 +2.7" -9.2" 3"@85 166
.45-70 (350 RN at 1900) .189 +2.9" -7.6" 3"@85 174
.45-70 (405 FP at 1330) .214 +1.3" -22.9" 3"@65 131

Strictly from a target shooting point of view since I am not a hunter -

GB45

Reactions: jim716

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Put a real bullet in those tables...

RD425
B.C. .377
Muzzle velocity 1,800 fps

That'll put lead in your pencil... ;)...and it shoots almost as flat as the lighter bullets. (even flatter, at extended ranges)

Ranch Dog 425 grain boolit, 1,800 fps MV, 165 yard zero:

For comparison...the 325 FTX bullet at 2,000 fps (same zero range):

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
Put a real bullet in those tables...

RD425
B.C. .377
Muzzle velocity 1,800 fps

That'll put lead in your pencil... ;)...and it shoots almost as flat as the lighter bullets. (even flatter, at extended ranges)
I have a load with the same weight that is almost exactly the same velocity and if your not quite awake when you pull the trigger you will be after the shot. ;D ;D ;D And the load shoots very good.

Reactions: JVtater

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
me said:
Thoughts to ponder Ridgerunner :)
Ballistic Coefficient (BC) is all too often overlooked... ;)

Muzzle velocity isn't worth 2 cents, if the bullet cannot hold on to it past 150 yards.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Well I think that just about sums it up.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
moofy07 said:
Well I think that just about sums it up.
Not quite two miles but I agree that it about sums it up. ;D ;D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree that at any range I would not want to be on the receiving end of a 45/70 round. Last fall I put down a 200+ pound mule deer buck at 190 yards with my 45/70 XLR and it hammered that buck to the ground. It never took a step, it was just bang flop and it was all over with. I was shooting a Buffalo Bore 350 JFN. I have practiced a lot from 100-300 yards over the past several years. I have a Leupold 3X9 Long Range scope mounted on it and that has helped me a lot, those extra dots help to take out the guess work for hold over. My 45/70 rifle is my number one choice for hunting. Great round and great rifle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When you compare ballistic like that ridgerunner it makes me wann order some big bullets, I think I will... ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Floridamarlin sorry we talked you into it ;D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I heard a guy say once that a baseball flies faster than a 45-70. ???

Hmmm, well ok go get your catchers mitt. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ah you americans... It's always about baseball ;D can we please talk about hockey for a change ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Skookumrob,

You bet, how about them Bruins? :mad: Sorry, just a friendly poke, you guys have to let us win a Stanley Cup once in a while ;D ;D Seriously, there is a poster here who made a video (man, whats his name?) where he was busting (culling does) in some crop land. At the end of the video he had a cut out of a deer with ballistic information on it as to where a shooter should aim and certain distances.etc. etc. it was very scientific. He was using an 1895CB that he scoped and showed that the ol' .45-70 can poke holes in just about anything within reasonable distances. I think his furthest shot was around 275 yards. Anyone else know who made this video? Oh I think it was Reflex 264 or something like that, very interesting video, I certainly learned a lot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only reason the bruins won was because they are all canadians where as the canucks were sweeds and americans ;) :D ;) ;D

I would like to see that video though!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Skookumrob said:
Ah you americans... It's always about baseball ;D can we please talk about hockey for a change ;)
Now Skookumrob, We Americans know that's just a bunch a hockey. ;) ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks Rowdy, going to watch it again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts