Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the 45-70 (previously used 30-06's, 308,s, 44 Mags and 30-30's), and know that there are some real wrinkles to loading the 45-70....could be more art than science. Anyway, I know that lots of you know this caliber inside and out, and would REALLY appreciate a heads up on bullets, powders, trajectories, etc. My goal is to put a load together that will fly out to 200 yds. without having to hold over or under within that range. Might be difficult, and I could be dumb for even proposing such a thing. Any ideas......and thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't know about 200 yds. but 52 gr. H322 under a 300gr. Sierrah JHP shoots great out of my 1895GS. Shooting crows at 125 yds. Mine has a Leupold 2x7 Veri xI Shotgun/Muzzleloader scope on it. Just sneek a little closer.

Matt

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt....I'll get some of that powder and give it a shot (literally). If you're popping crows at 125, I know three things have to be happening.....you've got a great rifle, you've got a great load, and you can shoot. I appreciate your suggestions....

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
We all set things up differently. There is a fellow by the name of Reflex that has set up a system whereby you have a very high 100 yard POI. That is 6 inches above the bullseye. If you aim at the heart of the deer, it works very well out to about 200 yards with his favorite load of 49gr. of H4198, 350gr. Hornady, Remington brass with Federal match primers. We sent off for his video some time ago and watched as he nailed deer at 200 yards plus over and over. I've been comfortable loading up with the 3 inch 100 yard zero and learning to hold over. A range finder is essential with this caliber if you're hunting that far. Much of the time when I've been pushed, I've lined the crosshairs on the top of the fur for a quick sight in when I know the range is over 150 yards and under 250. I've used alot of 300gr. bullets, but never the Sierra. A 300gr. load that has worked well for me with the Hornady, Rem., and especially Speer is 50gr. of H4198 with Starline brass and Winchester primer. This is small capacity brass, so the 50gr. actually brings me 2200 plus out of my 22 in. barrel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dr. A,
Thanks for your advice.....sounds "right on target". I know that the "knock-down" power of the 45-70 and the carriability of the Marlin GG is a great combination...probably the best. Just got to learn the trajectory, and should do that anyway. I'm going to load some cartridges today, and I'll use your data.
Thanks very much, Dr. A.......have a great day!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Mine really likes the 300 Sierra and Remington both over 50.5 gr of Reloder7 in WW brass lit by CCI standard large rifle primer...I found the key to real tack driving accuracy was finishing the load with the Lee factory crimp die...very consistant sub 1" 3 shot overlapping cloverleaf groups...the Sierra goes 1910fps and the Remington about 25fps faster

·
Registered
88 Posts
I shoot the 300 grain Remingtons with 56.1 grain H4198, Hodgdon says you can go all the way to 60 grains for 2400+ fps at Marlin pressures.

These loads shoot MOA for me out to 300, when there is no wind. The low BC really kills it in low wind. I have shot it out to 500 though at metal targets. Once I figured out where to hold the bullets all seemed to go to the same place, although with a 9x scope I could not tell accurately how large the groups were, and didn't feel like walking that far. ;D

·
Registered
913 Posts
This is the same old data that I used for a long time. I too ran mine to 58 and just ran out of shoulder. 56 was my most accurate also. 56 gave me 2425 out of my 1895 guide gun. Never did chronograph it out of the 1895SS or the CB. This load devastates deer. It is also hell on elk. For elk and moose I liked the partition at this speed better though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the data guys.....there's enough here to keep me at the loading bench for a while. Dr. A....you mentioned that Starline brass has less capacity....do you think it's enough less to affect below max loads to any significant degree? I ordered a stock of Starline brass for this new Guide Gun.....maybe should have gone with Winchester?
By the way, using the data that you sent for my first range session got a "sight in " group of about 1" at 100...three inches to the right and about two inches low. Brought the open sights up a bit and tapped them to the left.....next group almost touching in the 1" black....center of target. What is it with these Marlins, anyway....I'm almost afraid to put a scope on it.....can't tell you the number of high grade bolt guns that had to be almost "re-built" to get this kind of accuracy......I'm hooked, so look out checking account. :) :)

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Using Starline and probably Remington brass, you must certainly lower max. Using a choronograph and staying with the velocites listed will help you keep control over higher pressures. Velocities in excess of 2200fps will stress most of these 300gr. HP bullets beyond their optimum use. Sierra, Remington, and Hornady make decent bullets, but they do tend to overexpand at higher than normal velocities. I'm sure my book-dose of 50gr. of H4198 being trapdoor goes well over that alloted catagory in the pressure dept. My max for the Marlin would be considerably lower than 60gr. The sierra bullet is not equivalent of Hornady's, Remington, Nosler or Speer. It shoots at lower pressure. Theses general loadings in my mind are among the most abused.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, good information Dr. A. I found that 52 grains even of H 4198 produced nice tight groups.....hopefully that will give the load a little breathing room from a pressure perspective, even with Starline brass. I can see that a chronograph is a necessary part of the 45-70 kit....next on my purchasing agenda. Take care....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts