Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up a .45-70 Cowboy. SN begins with a 96, so I'm guessing that makes it a 2004.

The PO was shooting 540gr LRN in it. Wow that seems heavy. I got a few hundred of them with the rifle. I'm thinking I'll save them for my Buffalo Classic.

405 seems more like it to me...

Anyone else shoot that heavy in the 1895?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
The heaviest I’ve shot in the CB, the 425gr Ranch Dog.... But what I shoot mostly in it, the Lee .459-405 HB.

Congrats on your (new) CB 8)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm jealous. ;) Anyone out there want to trade for a Cowboy? I have an 18 year old somebody might like other than her mother... ::) ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a 1895 SS (It's a 50 AK now) that I used to shoot the CP 460 WFNGC ,very accurate. Needing a 45/70 I grabbed a 1895 Cowboy about a year and ahalf into their production. I had some 460 CP left and were loaded midrange velocity. They would not chamber ??? Found out the cowboys were notorious for short or no throat at all. A trip to Dave Clements for his Marlin upgrade pkg fixed all. To the op did those 525gr PD chamber without throating?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hold it firm to the shoulder and enjoy all of that sweet, beautiful power! Since I bought my cowboy I have shot nothing but 45-70 rifles :) I have enven been ignoring my 44 mag revolvers of late.

·
Registered
26 Posts
bigdogbuc said:
I'm jealous. ;) Anyone out there want to trade for a Cowboy? I have an 18 year old somebody might like other than her mother... ::) ;D

I'll send a picture of my cowboy, you send a picture of the 18 year old.

·
Registered
116 Posts
phc45-70 said:
I'll send a picture of my cowboy, you send a picture of the 18 year old.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got a Cowboy that is as NIB, never fired. Will trade for 18 yo with a smooth action that is as NIB. ;D ;D

Actually my wife is 38 this year. Told her when she turned 40 I am going to trade her in on 2 20's... she said I wasn't wired for 220... heheheheheeeee...

NGH

·
Registered
116 Posts
"I got a Cowboy that is as NIB, never fired. Will trade for 18 yo with a smooth action that is as NIB."

Your NIB requirement for the trade is a deal breaker. Wouldn't be fair to you... ;D

·
Registered
116 Posts
phc45-70 said:
Can the 18 year old cook? I need a cook. I'm about to starve to death eating my own cooking.
Nope. When it comes to her cooking, starving to death isn't nearly as bad as it seems. I'd rather chew off my own face. Real good at getting McDonald's though. ;D

·
Registered
196 Posts
phc45-70 said:
How is it possible to own a rifle and not shoot it the first time you get a chance?
There's a story there. It's not a real good one, but it's a story.

I was in the Air Force, in fact just retired on the 30th of June. So anyway we were stationed in Germany and we came back to the US on leave one time. I had saved some money and set off for the gun store. Ended up with the 1895 CB for about $600. Anyway, I couldn't take it back to Germany with me so I put it in the safe with all my others that were stored at my FIL's house while we were overseas. Four years later I came back to the US but we ended up living on base. I was supposed to register all my guns on base but I refused to so I just put everything in the safe and locked it up. I did smuggle a gun or two out for dove hunting/hog hunting last year. During that time in Germany I also hurt my shoulder and had to have it cut on. So I wasn't too keen on shooting that .45-70 with the hard butt on it. So now, we are moving this weekend to a place off base where I can own what I want to without having to register it with communist powers that be... Also, I have four kids and one income so ammo money hasn't always been there for a lot of playing. I actually have few guns that I have never shot. The 1895 CB, an 1894P, an M1 Garand (wife bought for me at CMP), an 870 Super Magnum, a Henry Golden Boy .22, a Colt King Cobra and a couple of barrels for my T/C G2. There are several that haven't been shot in years but now that I'm not in a communist state or a foreign country I can start to remedy that situation.

Later, NGH

·
Registered
116 Posts
"...Also, I have four kids and one income so ammo money hasn't always been there for a lot of playing."

I have 8 kids and two incomes, I feel your pain. I've managed to make it to the range twice in the last year (both in the last two weeks). Good news is...I still know how to shoot. ;D

·
Registered
196 Posts
at the risk of sounding like a 15yo girl...

OMG! Eight kids??? I put a quite permanent stop to the process at 4. Figured that was enough for any sane man... ;D ;D

It's like I tell my wife... I got a lot of ammo but can't afford to replace it if I shoot it and I MIGHT need it sometime. I may not be as good of a shot as I once was but I'm good enough to make meat and all the ones that I have shot are sighted in and functional.

NGH

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
no guns here said:
at the risk of sounding like a 15yo girl...

OMG! Eight kids??? I put a quite permanent stop to the process at 4. Figured that was enough for any sane man... ;D ;D

Yep--same here--sometimes yer better off keepin' er holstered or shootin' blanks so as to control the herd.

I'm just sayin'

Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
I put a permanent stop to it too. I'm a little slow sometimes.

The advantage of 8 is one hell of a tax return and; I've increased my odd's that one of the little turds will make something out of themselves in order to take care of me when I get really old. As it stands now, I still have 5 chances left. ;D ;D ;D

And I never said anything about being sane. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts