Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after shooting the 45-70 I just got I want to reload I found these bullets and wondering if they are a good deal
.459 Diameter
300 Grain RNFP
Brinell 18
For Small Buffalo
Price per box of 200
Price: $38.50

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Those seem on the light side at 300 grains.
My 1895 prefers the heavy stuff like 430 grain.
Before you reload find out what weight bullet your gun likes.

This company is one I might buy from.
https://www.pennbullets.com/index.html

They have those 480 grain ThunderHead bullets. I think I'd try out those.
They don't make a 430 grain.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I been shooting Winchester super X 300 grain and my gun loves them plus it a lot easier on the shoulder:biggrin:. I have done 430 and 500 grain and man my shoulder got kinda sore after a few rounds.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Regarding Penn bullets. I ordered some from them on March 18, and am still waiting. I got a confirmation right away but have no idea when they will arrive. Does anyone have experience with them. I emailed as to when I should expect them and they referred me to their information page.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Well, the lightest bullet I use is 350gr LRNFP, not sure I'd put a round nose bullet in a mag tube...I prefer flat nose bullets. Becareful with round nosed bullets...they might be too pointy for safe use in a mag tube. It's unlikely you'll have an issue, but its something to consider.
Have you reloaded yet? 300gr is a bit light if you are going to reload for a bullet of that weight, consider something with a gas check.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the lightest bullet I use is 350gr LRNFP, not sure I'd put a round nose bullet in a mag tube...I prefer flat nose bullets. Becareful with round nosed bullets...they might be too pointy for safe use in a mag tube. It's unlikely you'll have an issue, but its something to consider.
Have you reloaded yet? 300gr is a bit light if you are going to reload for a bullet of that weight, consider something with a gas check.
Well I check the lee loader book and hodgdon load data and on both resources it shows 300 grain lead data but they have 405 grain at the same place so next I will buy them. And right now I am getting everything together right now so I can start reloading again. It been over 35 years since I did any reloading so I am taking my time, checking the reloading books I bought and doing some research here and there already got a lee 3 hole turret press, slowly buying the rest and building a reloading bench. will go next payday and check the big box stores and some regular LGS's for powder and primers to start reloading for my 45-70 especially after putting about 50 rounds down range in 3 days of plinking and target shooting so I got some empty brass already will buy some more later. I want to at least make up about 500 rounds after I find that magic mix for the load.

I also have my 30-30 and ammo cheap enough especially the Winchester super x 150 grain it likes but later I will start reloading for it also.

Reactions: troy 45 70 gbl

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there mj -- Those are Missouri Bullet Co. bullets. Good bullet and very good company to deal with. RNFP = round nose flat point. Go here www.gmdr.com and click the Oregon Trail loading data in the top right banner. Scroll to your caliber and bullet weight on the left side of the page. You might consider a Winchester primer, 10 grains of Unique and one of those 300 grainers. Lots of fun. Might be a good idea to take a couple hundred rounds because they go fast.

I use that for a chicken load in silhouette and it still tosses a few of them over the berm. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there mj -- Those are Missouri Bullet Co. bullets. Good bullet and very good company to deal with. RNFP = round nose flat point. Go here www.gmdr.com and click the Oregon Trail loading data in the top right banner. Scroll to your caliber and bullet weight on the left side of the page. You might consider a Winchester primer, 10 grains of Unique and one of those 300 grainers. Lots of fun. Might be a good idea to take a couple hundred rounds because they go fast.

I use that for a chicken load in silhouette and it still tosses a few of them over the berm. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Thanks Wind it does and like everyone else on here I do appreciate the info from you especially:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I have 400 of the Missouri bullet 405gr RNFP's, going to work up some loads for these up to 1400fps...prior to these I used the Dardas 350gr LRNFP bullets. They are great bullets value wise and great for target and plinking. A nice target load for the 350gr is 30gr IMR-4198, approximately 1200fps and easy on the shoulder. I haven't started loading for the 405gr bullets yet, so no loads from me! However I'd recommend the IMR-4198 powder, just as an alternative to Unique, for the only reason that I've NEVER seen Unique on my LGS' s shelves!

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now later on I want to go hunting with my 45-70 mainly deer and hog and I wonder if I find the right magic mix especially the 400 grain lead bullet. I have shot some handloads with 400 grain bullets from someone I trust and I am putting holes thru treated 2x12s that I have used for stapling my target on at 65 yards with a little over a inch spread and I figured that if I figure up the same loads would that be good for deer and hog?

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
I have shot some handloads with 400 grain bullets from someone I trust and I am putting holes thru treated 2x12s that I have used for stapling my target on at 65 yards with a little over a inch spread and I figured that if I figure up the same loads would that be good for deer and hog?
If you can find a deer or hog that will stop that bullet at reasonable ranges, I hope you're hunting from a tree stand!

·
Registered
726 Posts
To me the price seems a bit high for 200. Unless it includes shipping I bought 250 HSM 405 grain flat points from my lgs for around 30 dollars. Then again I don't like the lighter bullets either my expericne is they are more sharply felt vs blunty just my .02.
CD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts