Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MO,

Did a bit of load testing yesterday. :biggrin:

Was sunny and in the mid 60's. A bit of a breeze. All targets were shot at the 50 yard line.

Dan (our Chief Enabler, here local) had cast up both a three and five lube groove, 420 grain bullet. The three groove bullet is showing some real potential.

Also "revisited" an earlier load, with the Penn Bullet 405 and 350 gr bullets.

Here are some pics of the bullets used.:ahhhhh:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
45/70 Load Test

Hey MO,

Here is how they shot:hmmmm:

That three lube groove 420 gr bullet is showing some real potential.:biggrin: Really smacks the 10" Diamond Dinger, at the 200 yard line.:ahhhhh:

The five groove bullet seems to not "care" for my CB.

And cannot say what I was "looking" at, on the other targets. (think the nut behind the trigger was "loose" yesterday):flute:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I like the looks of that 5 groove bullet, what make is the mould? I just got a chance to shoot that Rossi 45/70 this week and will defintely be looking to cast and reload as soon as I blow threw some factory loads.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the looks of that 5 grove bullet, what make is the mould? I just got a chance to shoot that Rossi 45/70 this week and will defintely be looking to cast and reload as soon as I blow threw some factory loads.
Hey RHP,

Not sure. Will find out.

Our Chief Enabler has several 45/70 molds. Will ask, next time we talk. (maybe Sunday?)

Later, Mark

Reactions: RHP

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Nice information (nice photos) and I also think the looks of that 5 groove is neat. But looks isn't everything is it? Now I have counted the grooves several times and I keep counting six, what am I doing wrong. Mark do you like or does your CB like the .460" diameter?

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice information (nice photos) and I also think the looks of that 5 groove is neat. But looks isn't everything is it? Now I have counted the grooves several times and I keep counting six, what am I doing wrong. Mark do you like or does your CB like the .460" diameter?
Hey David,

This CB "prefers" the .460" bullet. Hope to get some of the three groove "as dropped", or modify a sizing die (quick "polish" job, for .001").

The five (oops, six grooves) groove is actually a gas check bullet, without a gas check (which may be part of the problem, think the gas is "going around the bullet, look at the velocities) And yes, it has six grooves. ( Just went and counted them. I can't count too high) LOL

Thank you for pointing that out. (in the past, have found the small grooves to perform well in pistol bullets, up to 900 fps, or so. Then "fall apart" accuracy wise, once driven to 1200 fps, or so)

Have a bunch of the three groove bullets (thanks Dan), and intend to load them all.

Later, Mark

Reactions: dhansen

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great job mark, we all have a few screws loose from time to time, maybe you should have ate of few of those neccos. Be glad the peeps did not show up....................
Hey MrG,

Have yet to be plagued with Peeps, in these parts. Shotgun hulls, check. Neccos, check. Golf balls, check. Snuff cans, check Haven't seen too many Peeps. Could the "Mounted Necco's" have been "scouting" for Peeps?

Appreciate the "heads up", won't stray to far without my K 22!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, I hope you are using 3M masking tape on those targets!
Hey David,

Have the 38-55 sighted for the 200 yard line. Figured the upper (9") plate would "catch" the bullets.

Usually do pretty well with a paper plate (the 5" is "perfect" for me, at the 100 yard line). Yesterday was not "good". Did shoot two "good" groups. Shot a bunch of poor ones. Gives an excuse to "re visit" a couple of loads.

Was too ambitious. Took two rifles, and ten loads. Normally only take one rifle (in load "development"), with two or three loads. Shoot the 50, 100, and 200 yard lines.

Have shot better 50 yd groups, with a 1911, than some of those I shot yesterday. Grrrrrrrrr!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Mark I believe you are a perfectionist on top of all your other fine qualities. I thought that group from your 3 groove bullets looked very nice! Too many rifles and never enough time. But then we have plenty to keep us busy.

Take Care,

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seeing double?

Mark I believe you are a perfectionist on top of all your other fine qualities. I thought that group from your 3 groove bullets looked very nice! Too many rifles and never enough time. But then we have plenty to keep us busy.

Take Care,
Hey David,

The three groove bullet shot very well.

The 405 gr Penn Bullet? Have shot that bullet to 1-1/2", at 100 yds. And pretty "fair" at the 50 yard line.:biggrin:

That 3-1/4" horizontal string has me thinking (always hazardous), that I was "seeing" things. The vertical "dispersion" is only 3/4"! Think I was favoring one side, then the other. As opposed to the normal "lollipop" sight picture.

Gives me an excuse to shoot some more of those. :biggrin: (do not think there was an ammo "problem"):biggrin:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Mark, ya gotta watch those loose trigger nuts, they will get you every time. No need to ask how I know. Y'all take care, John.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.