Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received about 300-400 pieces of brass from a friend (free). I checked the head stamp and it seems about evenly split between three head stamps. The stamps are FC, WW and R-P. All the brass appears to be in excellent condition, some are older looking, such as the R-P and FC but yet in excellent shape. I've got about half in the tumbler now and will take a better look in a couple of hours. All the brass had the primer removed. Does anyone know what else I should look for?

·
Banned
457 Posts
"Just received about 300-400 pieces of brass from a friend (free)" 45/70

" Does anyone know what else I should look for? "

Yep, get your buddy a good man gift for doing that.

Nice Score

Reactions: grizbear13 and Mop

·
Registered
331 Posts
Besides the man gift, you might look for neck cracks, inside corrosion indicative of black powder use and any head separation indications otherwise you should be good to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Grey Duster, I plan on giving them a thorough exam after the tumbler. Superficial inspection showed no separation nor neck cracks, but will pass judgment after cleaning.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Good part about a case as big as a soup can you can look inside too.

I would separate them by brand keep the bulk for your practice rounds.

Next for hunting loads.

Next I would pay if forward to another friend in need in these hard times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are my kind of a guy swany, I have already collaborated with a close friend of mine, the only one I know around here with a 45-70 to divide up this cache of good fortune. We are going to reload together, as he is the only one I trust with firing his reloads (spent three tours in a jungle a bit east of here with him). But you are right, we all must share good fortunes.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Very nice! Man, you can't beat that sorta gift. 45-70 is always welcome, and especially when its a gift..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts