Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents I'd appreciate your advice on this. When resizing 45/70 brass on my Hormady AP using an older Hornady custom grade series II die set, the decapping/sizing motion feels sort of gritty and seems to crease the brass as shown in the photo at least half of the time. The sizing die is set up correctly and appear smooth inside.

I use this press and newer the newer custom die sets for 6 or 7 other calibers with no issues, including. 35 Rem 30.06 44 mag. So I know the press is indexing correctly etc.

Before I fork out the bux for a new die set I wanted to check with the experts. Thanks for any recommendations!

Writing implement Office supplies Pen Material property Gas

Wood Hood Grille Audio equipment Metal

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate it.. I was using the wax case lube and was probably using too much.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Lube dents from too much grease or wax type lube
one of the reason I started using spray case lube and I love Hornady One Shot Case Lube, I started using it when reload 2000 .223 round on my Dillon 550 press, trying to use wax or grease case lube took way too long, gave dents, didn't lube neck or primer pocket, most lubes can kill the primer so it does not work One shot will not

I dump a bunch of brass on an old tray for baking I spray a lot of the Hornady One Shot Case Lube and shake the tray so the brass moves around and let dry for 15 min,
I spray inside the dies sometimes on big straight wall brass

I love the Hornady dies they are one of the best

·
Super Moderator
26,382 Posts
I concur--probably too much lube.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Agree with the above, it sure looks like lube dents. Thoroughly clean all lube out of the die and start fresh with only the brand lube you are using. Good rule of thumb that has always worked for me (never used One Shot, so don't know about that one), use only enough lube to be able to feel it on your fingers. If you can easily see it on the case, it' probably too much.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I'll resize them this week or this weekend using the one shot. Will report back

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hey gents I'd appreciate your advice on this. When resizing 45/70 brass on my Hormady AP using an older Hornady custom grade series II die set, the decapping/sizing motion feels sort of gritty and seems to crease the brass as shown in the photo at least half of the time. The sizing die is set up correctly and appear smooth inside.

I use this press and newer the newer custom die sets for 6 or 7 other calibers with no issues, including. 35 Rem 30.06 44 mag. So I know the press is indexing correctly etc.

Before I fork out the bux for a new die set I wanted to check with the experts. Thanks for any recommendations!

View attachment 900606
View attachment 900604
What other's are saying. To much lube. I get the same thing sometimes when I'm not paying attention and use a little to much lube sometimes. Never on a straight wall cartridge, I mostly get that when I load bottleneck cases. Ease up on the lube and you should be alright. Nothing wrong with your dies.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
As above. Too much lube.

It will not hurt the cases to load them up like that and shoot them.

You will not remove the dents by resizing them, however. Nor are they likely to be removed by shooting them. 45-70 pressures are not high enough to iron out dents like those. High pressure bottleneck calibers will usually have enough pressure to iron them out, but remember, 45-70 was designed as a black powder round.

If you're using Imperial Case Wax, run your fingers over the lube, then over the cases. I can usually lube two of three cases from running my fingers over the lube once. It uses very little. My small tin of Imperial is 25 years old, has lubed probably 5000-10000 cases and I've only used about 25% of it.

·
Super Moderator
13,887 Posts
I won't beat the dead horse on lubricant, except to say that on most cases, less is more. If you can SEE the lubricant, it's probably too much. Don't resize, don't do anything, just load it up and as the kids these days say... "send it".

·
Registered
29,392 Posts
Lube dents from too much grease or wax type lube
one of the reason I started using spray case lube and I love Hornady One Shot Case Lube, I started using it when reload 2000 .223 round on my Dillon 550 press, trying to use wax or grease case lube took way too long, gave dents, didn't lube neck or primer pocket, most lubes can kill the primer so it does not work One shot will not

I dump a bunch of brass on an old tray for baking I spray a lot of the Hornady One Shot Case Lube and shake the tray so the brass moves around and let dry for 15 min,
I spray inside the dies sometimes on big straight wall brass

I love the Hornady dies they are one of the best
Hornady one shot. great stuff.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yep...too much lube. Made that mistake, many years ago. I had been loading pistol cartridges on carbide dies and didn't need lube. Decided to load for .270 and being slightly paranoid about a stuck case, lubed the hell out of the cases. Yep...dented them just like the pics you posted. Only did that once and I bet you will not either.

Padraig

·
Registered
109 Posts
Obviously, too much lube. I've puckered my share of bottle neck cartridges due to too much lube, but this is a new one for me as I've never had this problem with straight wall cartridges. Most sizing dies have a small vent hole through the side of the die to avoid trapped air from squeezing the case, so you may want to confirm that this hole is open. Lube will not flow through it, but if air is getting trapped in addition to too much lube it will accentuate the problem. I clean the exterior of my cartridges with Hoppe's No. 9 on 3" shotgun patches, and the oily film left by the Hoppe's is all that is needed for normal sizing, and I've never puckered a case using this method.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts