Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my guide gun i was convinced by a buddy I needed to pick up some beartooth piledrivers. I thought the 525s were a little overkill for me so I picked up the 425s. Any one else shoot them in their guide guns? If so how do you like them. I have some loaded up with 40grs of imr 4198. Waiting to have time to group them.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That load oughtta go mid-lower 1600s and through anything in North America.

I've loaded them from the 1600s to the lower 1800s, and nothing has stopped them yet. That would be deer, bear, pigs, and mid-sized trees.

If I were to use one bullet, and one bullet only, in a .45-70, it would be a top candidate. That is a very versatile weight.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I load the 425 piledriver jrs...that's way overkill. I load 36gr of IMR-4198 and the results are "impressive". 475linebaugh put a cow down with one...one shot, drt, the farmer had never seen that happen with one bullet. We also had that same load go through a 12" oak log....no problem. I don't think you need that extra speed. I'm ready for anything that walks/crawls with this load....deer, hog,t-rex, toyota...whatever.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I ran them through my GBL with 3031, H-322 as well as IMR 4198 (not quite as stout a load as yours). Overall, they seemed to group better than the 405 grain Beartooths. Mine were all .460 diameter. Every rifle is different. Let us know how they do!

-Keith

·
Registered
992 Posts
I bought some of the 525's and loaded some with 40 grains of H322 for fun. I couldn't get anyone at the range to try one after I shot it. I still have about 90 left. Way overkill for anything I hunt.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I bought some of the 525's and loaded some with 40 grains of H322 for fun. I couldn't get anyone at the range to try one after I shot it. I still have about 90 left. Way overkill for anything I hunt.
That is my experience, both in the "overkill" aspect and the "fun" part of firing them at 1550 fps.

Those things can kill and maim, depending on which end of the rifle you occupy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts