Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, am getting the urge to try out some new powders in my GS. Has anyone tried the new Reloader 10? I queried Alliant and they said they had,t tried it yet, but thought it would be good. Said to just use H322 data. Iwas also wondering if anyone had tried Hodgdon Benchmark. Thought it might give excellent loading density with 400 grain and heavier bullets. Hodgdon has data in their Annual Manual. The people at Alliant would say nothing as to REloader 10 being temperature dependent (thefore, I think that we can assume that it isn't.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have used Benchmark with 350-grain Hornadies in my 1895, and it gave me pretty good groups at 58 grains. Haven't chrono'ed that load. Can you post some data on loads and velocities with Benchmark from the Hodgdon Annual Manual?

As to Reloder 10x, I think that it will turn out to be a stellar performer in the 45-70, but there is no load data for it. I have repeatedly urged the techs at Alliant to test it in the 45-70 and post some load data, but they won't get off their butts and do it. This strikes me as being a bit short-sighted.

G

·
I have used RL-10x with the RL-7 data for my 30/30 and got pretty high velocities. I stopped for awhile until more info came out about this powder. I like the RL-7 and H322 for my 30/30 and thought, Oh Boy, a little slower than RL-7 would be just right for jkt and hard cast bullets.

There was an article in Guns and Ammo, I think, about a month ago about using RL-10x (several calibers) in the 45-70 with some data. BM

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hodgdon's Annual Manual Load data

For lever action 45-70 Marlins: Benchmark 350 grn bullets: starting - 56grns with a velosity of 1886 and 26,900 CUP. Max - 60.0C with a velosity of 2092 and 39,300 CUP. $00 grn bullets: start 55grns with a velosity of 1856 and a pressure of 29,600 CUP. Max - 58.5C for 1986 and 40,000 CUP.

I have written several emails to the folks at Aliant and all they have done is responded to me with a "we think your correct, and it might be a good powder also." They said that they would complete the paperwork to get the tests done. After about the third query they told me to go ahead and use H322 data, and work up carefully.

I agree that they are a bit short sighted in responding to the public. The 45-70 and the 450 Marlin are both hot cartridges in the reloading arena, and they are loosing sales, and loosing customer esteam.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hodgdon's Annual Manual Load data

For lever action 45-70 Marlins: Benchmark 350 grn bullets: starting - 56grns with a velosity of 1886 and 26,900 CUP. Max - 60.0C with a velosity of 2092 and 39,300 CUP. $00 grn bullets: start 55grns with a velosity of 1856 and a pressure of 29,600 CUP. Max - 58.5C for 1986 and 40,000 CUP.

I have written several emails to the folks at Aliant and all they have done is responded to me with a "we think your correct, and it might be a good powder also." They said that they would complete the paperwork to get the tests done. After about the third query they told me to go ahead and use H322 data, and work up carefully.

I agree that they are a bit short sighted in responding to the public. The 45-70 and the 450 Marlin are both hot cartridges in the reloading arena, and they are loosing sales, and loosing customer esteam.

G

·
I was wrong about which magazine that I saw the 45-70 data in for RL-10x. It was the Oct. issue of "Handloader". R H VanDenburg used RL-10 in his Marlin 1895 cowboy with a 26" barrel to get:

45-70-300grn.-50.0grns [email protected]
45-70-405grn.-41.0grns [email protected]

He stated that these were not max loads but both had excellent accuracy and shot within the adjustable range of the factory iron sights. He also said that in another rifle with a 22" barrel he used 40.0grns of RL-10 and a 400grn cast Meister bullet for 1617fps and very small groups. BM

Bill

·
Registered
81 Posts
swarf and Bluemoon: Thanks for the info, guys.

Since the burn rate of Reloder 10x is very similar to that of H322, I am sure that the loads given by Vandenberg are extremely conservative ones, in terms of the pressures that the Marlin 45-70s can handle; but it is always tricky to go beyond published data. Swarf, if you try Reloder 10x, do let us know what results you got.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts