Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of case lube do you guys use for the 45-70?I have been using the Hornady One Shot case lube and the Minute Lube by Midway.I still am having a hard time of it.I think I am going to pull the table out of the wall or get a stuck case.Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
I just use a little Lee Resizing Lubricant on a RCBS lube pad. A little goes a long way, only a very light film is needed, never a stuck case. I roll five cases at a time, no pressure is needed, no mess, no fuss. And a good thing about Lee lube is it will not harm powder or primers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jackfish,
I have some RCBS case lube that has been laying around for about 25 years now .That's a long time .I hated it since it was like the consistency of honey and left your hand a total mess until you scrubed.I hated to clean the stuff off of the cases with solvent too as that took forever so I have since used my RCBS case vibrater to clean the gooy stuff off of the cases.The sprays were working fine for the bottle neck cases but since there isn't a weep hole in the 45-70 sizing die,it has been pretty tough sizing the cases, unless,I used a lot of spray lube and only did a few at a time.Looks like I'll give that old RCBS lube pad and resizing lube a try again until I find that Lee stuff you are talking about.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I have used the Lee case lube and I also use the One Shot.I like the one shot better.It stinks while the Lee stuff is messy.

I wish they could make Carbide Dies for the 45-70 as my 454 does not have to be lubed.

Jayco

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jacocreek

I liked the One Shot too but I find that I have to really spray a lot on,several times over,to get smooth feeding into the die.I am using Hornady custom grade,new demension dies.I don't think the dies have anything to do with the way I have to gunt and grind my teeth to resize.I don't have this problem when loading my bottle neck cases while using one shot.The cases that I am having the major issue with are once fired from my GG.I ran my new unfired starline brass into the sizing die too and it was pretty tight as well.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Unlubed carbide dies would not work for the 45-70 as it is a slightly tapered case. If they made carbide dies for the 45-70 you would still need case lube.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a hold of Hornady.They told me that they have a case lube out that is a paste.It is called Unique, and it works very well .They also told me the same thing,that I should apply the One Shot on only a few cases at a time as it dries to fast.They also said that there is no weep hole for air to escape since the 45-70 is so straight walled,with only a slight taper, that they wouldn't know where to put the hole.Why didn't I think of that before I asked them.Oh well,just count this as one of my stupid days.I hope that isn't a sign of old age,I'm only 104 years old.Kidding!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
.45 70 case lube

Same as for any other case that needs lubing. Anhydrous lanolin. Just a little bit around the upper portion of the brass will do it. I keep it in a jar and pull some up around the rim before starting so I can just roll the end of the case around the mouth a little. Have to be careful not to use too much though, or you get hydrolic pressure dimples in the cases.

chunkum

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
That stuff works great for making your wool outerwear repel water. I've got the formula for anhydrous lanolin treatment of wool garments if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It seems to me that Hornady paste type lube is basically a mink oil type of material. Once when I got in a bind - no pun intended - I looked for some mink oil of the kind that Hornady markets. I couldn't find that same kind and settled for a Kiwi product by the same name. It seems to have more wax in it and works even better than most case lubes including the Redding stuff. The better the lube the more important it is to clean it off after though as it will prevent the case from gripping the chamber upon firing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow,I'm getting some good information here.Up until now,I thought a case lube ,was a case lube.I am seeing that there are other options.With catologs full of neat reloading stuff,I,ve always overlooked producks like resizing lubes to see what was out there.Just one of those things you take for granted , I guess, but a very important item in the reloading room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts