Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
left something outhowdy ya'll. nother question for the pros regarding my 45-70. i have been casting some standard 405gr, 405gr hollow base and 450gr bullets.

my issues are their any charts modifying the powder charges for variances in bullet wts. the standard 405's are pretty much dead nuts

but when weighing the 405 hollow bases and the 450's they are considerably lighter. the hollow base are running consistently 10-15 grs lighter and the

450gr a steady 5gr lighter respectively. realizing this isn't exactly rocket surgery i'm a bit concerned about the tolerences regarding wt.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Those ole boys over in the 45-70 forum can give you some good answers also.

The 45/70 Govt.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I load 40 grains of 3031, it shoots great in all my 45-70's, 2 1884 trapdoors, a Rem. #1 and a Sharps carbine. It's a good all around load for the weaker actions. About 1300FPS
Also 12 gratins of trail boss for a real puddy tat, mild load, about 900FPS

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
second that fun load of Trail Boss! to many people want to load the 45-70 hot to make it a 458 win, and lose the giggle factor of punkin chunkin

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Unless you are loading those bullets on the ragged edge of the load data specs the variance of actual versus designed bullet weights and associated load data isn't that critical. Since it sounds like you already know at least a little about loading and tailoring the load to suit your rifle, (I don't know your experience level) proceed with caution. Maintain good record keeping so when you find the golden egg you can reproduce it in spades. :biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts