Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Anyone have any idea what kind of velocity you gain from going from a 16.5 inch barrel to a 20 inch barrel with 240gr jsp. Would it be significant enough to justify buying the 20 inch barrel if I wanted to use it for deer hunting 150 yards and less? One of those 1894SBL is calling to me and I don’t know if I should go for it or just get a regular 1894 and put a skinner sight on it. Any help, info or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,714 Posts
Kingstrider said it all. It doesn't make any difference. Buy the rifle you want. No animal will die any slower or miss 50-75 ft/sec when shot through the heart lung area with the shorter barrel. Carry what makes you most comfortable and gives you confidence.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The ultimate pistol round in a rifle will kill anything on earth with the right bullet. Elephants have been taken with one shot to the head with a pistol.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
As I would have guessed, and the chart shows, the velocity gain would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 to 60 fps -- a gain, to be sure, but whether or not it's enough to justify the longer tube is doubtful. If I were using iron sights (which I would) the added sight radius would be more of a consideration to go longer than the velocity gain -- but I wouldn't turn down the slight velocity boost in the bargain! And neither would I concern myself with a slight loss if a shorter gun were my main goal.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Steer are slaughtered with a 22LR to the head.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
Steer are slaughtered with a 22LR to the head.
reminds me of a story from way back when....a friend and a guy I worked with had been fattening up a calf for the freezer over the summer - come the fall he decided it was time to put it in the freezer - he was quite the deer hunter and always butchered his own meat - he had heard about putting them down with a 22 then cutting the throat - so - he shot the calf in the head with the 22 and it bellowed and broke out of the pen....he lived out of town but in an area of small acreages - lots of neighbors - it ran wild in the neighborhood tearing up anything it came in contact with....he finally put it down with his .308....

it was funnier when you lived it

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I have 41 magnums, but in this instance the difference is the same.

My 16.5 inch 41 does a fine job out to 150 yards with 210 grain Swift A-Frames.

A 16.5 inch 44 would do the same... with a scope....if using iron sights, an argument in favor of the longer barrel could be made (sight radius).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
For me... the draw of lever action carbines is their short overall length.

20 inches isn't terrible, and is about perfect for rifle rounds (30-30, 35, etc.)

But for pistol caliber rounds....16-18 inches is plenty.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
FWIW...

I tested a bunch of factory and handloads out of my 16" 44 mag 94 and my 18.5" Ruger 44 mag carbine a couple years ago. Velocities averaged within 20 fps different.

I have a 22" 44 mag bbl for a H&R single shot I recently picked up. Haven't tested loads through it yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A lot will depend on the ammo itself. I've got one of the newer Marlins (Remlin) and when working up handloads I decided to compare them to factory ammo. Shot 5 rounds of Winchester 240 gr. JSP with an average velocity of 1797 fps. Also shot 5 rounds of Remington 240 gr. JSP with an average velocity of 2143.

One thing I have noticed is with this rifle, jacketed bullets are printing several inches to the right at 100 yards as compared to the cast bullets which I use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts