Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the NEF owners over at Graybeards have been reaming out their 44mag barrels to this caliber and it sounds interesting.

I have been running some ballistics with the data some of them have provided here and it looks inpressive.

Pointblank data program shows that 1900 fps with a 300gr. bullet (hornady) has about 1100fps of energy at 200 yards.

I would think htat would work nicely for elk. Any other thoughts?

I love my 45-70, but this sounds like a winner with less powder and less recoil.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Jerry, I think a 300gr bullet at 1900 fps out of either rifle in a Handi is going to have the same recoil as far as my shoulder would know, even considering the slightly smaller powder charge. Terminal performance would be important when considering bullet selection, I'd choose a 300gr Nosler partition .458" over a 300gr XTP .44 for elk any day, all else equal.

Tim

·
Registered
148 Posts
People have taken elk with .44 mag pistols, a .445super mag in a rifle should generate a little more reliable kill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has no idea what a 445 Super Mag is

Jerry, I think a 300gr bullet at 1900 fps out of either rifle in a Handi is going to have the same recoil as far as my shoulder would know, even considering the slightly smaller powder charge. Terminal performance would be important when considering bullet selection, I'd choose a 300gr Nosler partition .458" over a 300gr XTP .44 for elk any day, all else equal.

Tim
.458 bullets do not work well in a 44 barrel, hope this guy did not try your advise!!! Would not even chamber.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
.458 bullets do not work well in a 44 barrel, hope this guy did not try your advise!!! Would not even chamber.
Context young grasshopper. He was speaking of the OP's 45-70. Plus this post is over 13 years old.

Reactions: rx7dryver

·
Super Moderator
9,397 Posts
The 445 was originally in a Dan Wesson revolver as I have one. It was for Silhouette application. It has more that enough power to take down big game but bullet selection will be the crucial factor. We started to notice forcing cone erosion and flame cut on the top strap of our revolvers that were used every weekend. On any pistol round that uses a large powder capacity you need to make sure you use bullets with a strong enough jacket to handle the pressure. If you use a thin jacket bullet you can have a dangerous situation when the bullet enters the forcing cone of the barrel. It can essentially mushroom at the forcing cone and act like a barrel obstruction which significantly raises the pressure to a dangerous level. The same danger exists with 454 Casull and 475, 500 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger, 500 S&W.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The 445 was originally in a Dan Wesson revolver as I have one. It was for Silhouette application. It has more that enough power to take down big game but bullet selection will be the crucial factor. We started to notice forcing cone erosion and flame cut on the top strap of our revolvers that were used every weekend. On any pistol round that uses a large powder capacity you need to make sure you use bullets with a strong enough jacket to handle the pressure. If you use a thin jacket bullet you can have a dangerous situation when the bullet enters the forcing cone of the barrel. It can essentially mushroom at the forcing cone and act like a barrel obstruction which significantly raises the pressure to a dangerous level. The same danger exists with 454 Casull and 475, 500 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger, 500 S&W.
I did mot realize this was the case in the 445 revolvers. I knew about the same problem in the 357 Maximum. I thought it was due to to light a bullet and too fast fast burning powders. Was this the same incthe 445?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts