Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a small farm to lease in NE North Carolina where I can hunt bears. If I do, will my 445 SM levergun be enough power and range for big bears? My preferred load is using a Hornady 265gr JFP at close to 2000fps. That area has alot of swamps that I don't want to tredge through looking for a wounded bear.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
Hunted blackies in Maine a few times and saw them killed with 44 Mag rifles and revolvers. Keep the range within reason, take a good shot and you will have no problems. Black Bears seem to die quicker than whitetails when hit in the boiler room.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
It was made by Dan Wesson (Super Mag) about the same time the .357 max came out and the .414. They were meant for silhouette shooting.

They are stretched versions of the 44, 41 and .357 mags. Forgot all about the .375 supper mag

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I'm trying to find a small farm to lease in NE North Carolina where I can hunt bears. If I do, will my 445 SM levergun be enough power and range for big bears? My preferred load is using a Hornady 265gr JFP at close to 2000fps. That area has alot of swamps that I don't want to tredge through looking for a wounded bear.

Thanks, Dinny
I've shot black bear with 44 magnum hand loads using 265 grain Hornady flat nose bullets that were going considerably slower than 2000 fps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.