Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up a Marlin 444s in a swap and got a pretty fair deal because it has some feeding problems. When attempting to feed the round it comes out of the magazine tube ok and then when lining up it is sitting just a bit too high to go into the chamber. It did feed sometimes, but scratched the round when it did. I took the rifle apart and noticed some nicks and burrs on the cartridge leveler and buffed these out- now it rarely loads correctly and almost always jams. I am thinking that the cartridge leveler was already worn and was not allowing for the cartridge to drop to level when the bolt came forward- and buffing it out made the problem worse. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea of something else it might be. The screw which holds the carrier in also seems to loosen after cycling the action awhile- but I am not sure that is related to the feeding problem. I am sure the feeding problem is probably an easy fix, but I am not sure how to go about it. I would be much obliged for any help.
Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
G'day JB. You need to watch what is happening as you slowly lever a round into the chamber. One thing to watch for is that the cartridge rim slides in between the extractor hook and the bolt face. If it doesn't, the the nose of the round will tilt upwards, which, by your description, may be the problem.

Mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark,
Thanks for the reply. The rim of the round does come between nicely as if it were going to load fine. The problem is that once it is between- when the bolt is less than 1/4 of the way forward- the round is resting too high to be chambered properly. I cant seem to figure out what is happening with the alignment at the point when the round is ready to be chambered and the bolt is just moving forward from the full open position.
Thanks again,
JB
BTW- I have family in South Australia

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Most likely you removed too much material off the lever and now the timing is off, if you can get another lever from another gun and try it in the 444, it dosent take much to un time a lever, I did it one time, with only 600 grit sand paper!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts