Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how many 444 ported guide guns (444P) were manufactured? My apologies if this question has been asked previously.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Good question. Not sure myself. Not many though for sure. As to the exact number, I'm sure somebody that knows will be along shortly, I'm a bit curious myself now.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think that someone on this forum told me that the ported 444 P outfitter "guide gun" was only manufactured for two and a half to three years, 99 to 2001 If I recall correctly. I love mine except for the wide fore-end which doesn't fit any standard lever gun saddle scabbard which I have tried, and the small lever which can't accommodate a gloved hand.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
We've tried to get this answered before, hasn't come to a definitive answer yet. The term, "not many" pops up every time. I had two and sold one, so I know where there are 2. DP

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This question comes up about every 2-3 months. So far, no one has ever been able to come up with a number.
All we really know is that most, if not all, of them were built between 1999 and 2002.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I can't answer the question, but I will confuse things, maybe. I seem to recall hearing that the last year of the 444P was non-ported, but extremely rare. Could be an urban myth. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I can't answer the question, but I will confuse things, maybe. I seem to recall hearing that the last year of the 444P was non-ported, but extremely rare. Could be an urban myth. :hmmmm:
I have heard of the same, with examples of the mythical non-ported 18.5" version carrying 2003 serial numbers.
....Haven't ever seen one.....

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I will believe it when I see it. It would have a new model and couldnt be called a P.
Tell that to the guys with 1984 and 1985 dated 444Ss with no cross-bolt safety.
...Or the guys with '72 and '73 444s with original high comb Monte Carlo stocks.
...Or the guys with original straight stocks (non-Monte Carlo) on '66-'68 444s.
...Or the guys with original '64 336s stamped "444 Magnum". (The Model 444 didn't hit the streets until '65, but .444 Marlin was alive and making its way into the world in '64 by way of the 336.)

You can never be certain of anything about production dates, model runs, or stampings, in the firearms world. There is ALWAYS something to prove you wrong.
That is why I referred to the non-ported 2003 444P as "mythical" but didn't discount the possibility of its existence. I have owned a lot of oddballs. So, I know first-hand that there are some funky non-conformers out there.

A good example is a Mossberg 800 that I used to own. It was stamped "800BSM" for the model number - a model that never officially existed (the B and M indicating that it was a .243 Win Mannlicher model (.243 - yes / Mannlicher - no), but the S was not a standard model designation). Its serial number dated it to 1973, but it had parts on it that spanned 9 years of production - early style deluxe Monte Carlo stock, late style pistol grip cap, mid-production buttplate and action, late style bolt with early style safety, and an non-standard length iron-sight barrel with a short sight radius.

If you asked any "Mossberg Aficionado", they'd say it was a rifle assembled by 'Bubba' from parts. But, the Mossberg Historical Society managed find some information that indicated otherwise: Everything they had indicated that it was a pre-production prototype for a new "Scoped Police" model. It was built in 1973 with parts left over from previous models, and reconfigured a few times before being noted as sold in 1976 (shortly before the fire and bankruptcy). And from there, it somehow found its way to Southern Idaho, got painted in hideous 'arctic camo', made its way to Northern Utah, got painted with pink and purple zebra stripe 'camo', was eventually fully refinished, and is now in the hands of a teenager in West Texas, for whitetail and hog hunting. (And he has no idea that he's hunting with a unicorn.)

Never say never.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I've never seen a number on how many were manufactured mentioned either. Only know where at least one of them is.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Since the 444P was named the "Outfitter" by Marlin, it's very possible the last ones could have had non-ported barrels and still be the Outfitter model. Just my opinion. DP

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
All I know is that I want one.:marchmellow:
Maybe one of these days it'll happen, savin up now.

Reactions: 10 AC
1 - 16 of 16 Posts