Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know putting 44 magnum ammo in a .444 is a bad idea - I've read the thread. However, I think a properly rifled steel chamber adapter sleeve with outside dimensions to tight fit the .444 chamber, and inside dimensions to fit 44 magnum in both length and diameter could work safely. Has this ever been done?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The problem with a .444-to-.44 chamber adapter is that the walls of the device would only be about 0.006" thick. That would make such a thing extremely weak and easily deformed, prone to breakage during removal (if it was installed with any of the standard methods), and would be very likely to crack and separate in the area of the .44 'throat' in a very short time (possibly with the first round fired).

I don't know of anyone that has offered such a product.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I just wonder how it would stay in there and how would you get the rifling to match up? And you'd have a seam there collecting lead & copper. Besides, I'd rather carry a lighter 94 than a heavier 444 around all day. There's always loading down a 444 to mag speed if you load yer own.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Just Try 12gr Trail Boss w/ a Cast 240-265gr RNFP in your T4.
Mine Loves the Lee 240gr SWC w/ this load.
Nice & Mild Shootin' Very Accurate (3/4in @ 54yds)
And it Kills 8 Pointers DEAD.
Good Luck & Good Shootin,
UncleSarge58

Reactions: johnnysespresso

·
Registered
506 Posts
Better to buy a 44 mag rifle
Always room in the safe for one more

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
"Always room in the safe for one more"
Perhaps your safe however my BoomerBlessings do overfloweth....not complaining - just a confession.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I know putting 44 magnum ammo in a .444 is a bad idea - I've read the thread. However, I think a properly rifled steel chamber adapter sleeve with outside dimensions to tight fit the .444 chamber, and inside dimensions to fit 44 magnum in both length and diameter could work safely. Has this ever been done?
Take a 200-240 grain bullet seat it in a 444 case on top of 14 gr of unique and enjoy your "new" 44 mag rifle!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts