Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this .444 has made its rounds through the family, finally winding up in my hands. It obviously needs a new stock and the bluing on the action is pretty much gone. So what do you guys think I should do with it?

I was thinking of a Boyd's stock in pepper laminate and getting it parkerized. Has anyone done this? How's it look?

I am open to other options/ideas and love pictures, so what do you say Marlin Owners?

And walnut is not an option :p

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
It's your 444, do what floats your stick. There's lots of options in wood or composites, for stocks, metal for me good old blueing or hard chrome.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Give it a nice, deep rust blue for the finish.

And top it off with... just about anything from Treebone. Warning: George's photo galleries may make you drool on your keyboard. Neither I, nor Marlinowners, will be responsible for the damage.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
I have a laminated gray butt stock it is receiver cut recoil pad but not checked. The laminated forend was order for from NH,CT. in 2008 it is checked Both look like a match in color. if interested PM me.
T:biggrin: NY

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I like your style... Stock and finish you have in mind indicates creativity, of which apparently I have none.
Thanks for the picture, let's see an 'after' photo when you work your magic.
Ss

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Give it a nice, deep rust blue for the finish.

And top it off with... just about anything from Treebone. Warning: George's photo galleries may make you drool on your keyboard. Neither I, nor Marlinowners, will be responsible for the damage.
The only problem with Treebone's stocks is I would be afraid to carry it in the woods. Looks way to nice to drag up and down trees and hall through the swamps.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The only problem with Treebone's stocks is I would be afraid to carry it in the woods. Looks way to nice to drag up and down trees and hall through the swamps.
Well, yea....
If your rifle tends to spend some time bouncing off trees at the end of a rope, gets drug across tailgates, spends its down time bouncing off tire irons and jacks, or tends to be thrown around like an old shovel... I wouldn't recommend nice wood.

But, as long as the abuse is avoided, and the stock is properly finished, having a half-decent piece of wood on the rifle is not a problem out in the woods. Many of the desirable hardwoods are much more resistant to dents, dings, and scratches, than the lesser woods people commonly think are a better option (just because they're cheaper). And as a bonus, most of the more desirable woods are also easier to iron dents and dings out of, should something happen to them.

Aside from about a dozen new rifles purchased in the last 10-12 years, over 90% of the wood-stocked rifles and shotguns in my family are wearing nice walnut, tiger-stripe maple, birdseye maple, quilted maple, or something exotic. While the factory-stocked long guns sometimes come back from hunting trips with ugly scratches in their nasty, sprayed-on finishes, the nicer stocks rarely show any scuffs or scratches. And, even if they do.... hand-rubbing a little tung oil into the stock takes care of it.

Some varieties of English walnut are so dense and resistant to damage, that they don't even require a butt plate to protect the butt. You can just profile the wood, and even carve or checker the end grain. Those stocks pretty much never get scratched; and if they do, the damage is very shallow and easily buffed out.

Nice wood isn't for everybody. Some people just don't want to deal with what they perceive to be a liability. But, as long as your rifles don't get abused, nice wood isn't a handicap.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Boy Sneakybuffalo sure would look nice with some nice wood on it, there's just something about a nicely grained wood stock on a classic lever gun,but hey it's your rifle do what you think is best. What ever you choose it will look nice.
JB

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boy Sneakybuffalo sure would look nice with some nice wood on it, there's just something about a nicely grained wood stock on a classic lever gun,but hey it's your rifle do what you think is best. What ever you choose it will look nice.
JB
Yeah, I've got a 30-30 with original Walnut and since this one needs a lot of work anyways it'd be fun to do something different.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some varieties of English walnut are so dense and resistant to damage, that they don't even require a butt plate to protect the butt. You can just profile the wood, and even carve or checker the end grain. Those stocks pretty much never get scratched; and if they do, the damage is very shallow and easily buffed out.
What about a stock made out of Ironwood? Anyone ever seen such a thing?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I've heard several people talk about making such a thing, but I've never seen a piece that was large enough to get the job done.

That'd be a heavy beast. I used to have an ironwood end table / checker board. I'm surprised that it never collapsed the floor joists and crashed into the basement. :biggrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.