Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info to tell my friend. I have never reloaded Hornady 444 factory LE brass as I always handload with remington brass but my buddy claims he loaded the short brass with a 300 grain seirra and it works and shoots perfectly. He said he was probably getting 1950 fps and he is overjoyed with the accuracy he is getting. I told him that I did not think this was kosher.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As long as he uses proportionally smaller loads in the shorter brass plus a small extra safety factor, he should stay on the safe side of things. The following is just an example and is not a load!!!

40 grains powder x grains of powder
2.225 (Rem brass) 2.065 (Hornady brass)

x = ..... 2.225x + 40 X 2.065
x = 40 x 2.065

x = 37.1234 grains of the same power, same bullet
35 grains in round numbers of the same powder, same bullet using an small extra caution cushion of 2 grains less powder

Rem Brass according to Lee manual 2d. ed. p. 653

Hornady brass according to http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=68332 (measure 10 cases yourself and take the average)

rimrock

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I've loaded the 300 gr Hornady XTP, crimping on the lower cannelure and keeping my OAL the same as the standard brass. They shoot just fine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Being a future 444 owner, I'm saving my nickles and dimes, I am learning new stuff here every day. I have not heard the term short brass regarding 444's before. Is it a similar issue as with the 38-55 having at least 2 different factory brass sizes? Wondering what the difference is. Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The LE bullet has a LONG ogive and can not chamber in the 444 using standard brass. HDY's solution was to cut the brass back to make a 444 short which brings the LE bullet back from the rifling.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oops, I thought it was a thread about these:

But yes, so long as the over all length is the same, the short brass makes no difference.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Rory McCanuck said:
Oops, I thought it was a thread about these:

But yes, so long as the over all length is the same, the short brass makes no difference.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are...

*V*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts