Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here ya go guys - - -just what you need to match up with that nice 444 Marlin Lever - - hang this baby off your waist belt and NOTHIN' will get in your way - -'cept maybe a Sherman Tank!

Magnum Research 5 Shot, 10 inch barrel, 444 Marlin and weighs less than 5 pounds!!

You notice how that grip handle and trigger are staggered down at an angle from that barrel??
Hmmmmmm - think that might have sumthin' ta do with RECOIL?

Got one on GB for less than $800 bucks . . . . .
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=238817707

GB45

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have some pretty good barrels for my Encores (45-70, 30-06) but I'm not so sure I would want to play with that one!

·
Registered
522 Posts
IN1894SS said:
I have some pretty good barrels for my Encores (45-70, 30-06) but I'm not so sure I would want to play with that one!
Have a 16" 444 Marlin pistol barrel for Encores, heavy but not bad at all in the recoil similar to my 30/06 pistol barrels. Just hold on to keep from dropping it as the recoil travels over your head.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
A Buddy of mine has a single shot handgun made by MOA that's chambered in .350 Rem mag (yes, that .350 Rem mag!). He uses it to deer hunt in Indiana, where it is perfectly leagal to use, but where you cannot hunt with a standard 30/30, .35 Rem, .243, .223, .308 and a jillion other rifle cartridges fired out of a rifle. Odd but true, sports fans!

And no, I've not yet fired it (own a rifle in it, so am pretty wary...lol)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
id love to have the MOA and the BFR...

both are on my want list...

i think i would opt for the 30-30 in the BFR tho... just seems like it would be more enjoyable to me. maybe not?

and i dont think you would mount it on your hip. maybe a chest rig. i could see a short fat guy trying to draw that thing. :eek:

·
Registered
428 Posts
336ER said:
A Buddy of mine has a single shot handgun made by MOA that's chambered in .350 Rem mag (yes, that .350 Rem mag!). He uses it to deer hunt in Indiana, where it is perfectly leagal to use, but where you cannot hunt with a standard 30/30, .35 Rem, .243, .223, .308 and a jillion other rifle cartridges fired out of a rifle. Odd but true, sports fans!

And no, I've not yet fired it (own a rifle in it, so am pretty wary...lol)
What Rifle do you own it in? Mine is a 673 and I think it is beautiful..

A word on the Magnum Research 444. It is a 4.5 pond revolver. I have wanted one for a few years and plan on aquiring one. They now have a precision shop that you can order the guns from, including with any number of extra options. The nice thing about them, is that when you order a gun from them that way, they don't modify an already made gun, they build one specifically to what you ordered off their list, and they are extremely tight, accurate guns. Anyone who can handle a 475 linebaugh, or a light 454 Casull revolver with full loads should have no problem handling the 444 chambered BFR. The 450 Version, I might doubt, but if you want. look up the videos for it on youtube. there is one of a guy shooting the 450.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Kind of like hanging onto a tiger by the tail and thinking you have control! :eek:

·
Registered
428 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Not for me but if you're interested here is a video link of the 450 BFR.

I'll stick with this instead.

1895Gunner

Yep, that is the video I saw. The muzzle blast on that is probably more fearsome than the recoil.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
C'mon guys, that revolver has cowboy action shooting written all over it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like a nice ladies gun......just kidding. A friend has a BFR in 45-70 it aint so bad to shoot recoil wise, although my groups were not so good.... don't know why but I suspect it has something to do with wobbling like crazy, closing my eyes and yanking on the trigger.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Brad Dundee said:
Looks like a nice ladies gun......just kidding. A friend has a BFR in 45-70 it aint so bad to shoot recoil wise, although my groups were not so good.... don't know why but I suspect it has something to do with wobbling like crazy, closing my eyes and yanking on the trigger.
Did your buddies spin you around for 30 seconds first too? :p

The recoil of that chambering with factory 300gr milds is supposed to be less than a full house 44 magnum in a gun 1/2 its weight.

I will say anyone who shoots one regularly, with the 10 inch barrel and weight approaching 5 pounds, must have some very well defined fore-arm muscles. I think practicing with it might actually help your other revolver shooting if you don't develope a flinch, just from the added strength it will help you get in your shooting form. Just a thought is all.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was curious, so I did some figuring.

This is an actual chronographed load from my 6.5" .475 Linebaugh BFR:
Recoil for a 3.2 lb. firearm (my BFR) with 27.0 gr. smokless powder firing a 420 gr. bullet at 1310.7 fps Muz. Vel.:

impulse = 2.9 lb./sec.
free velocity = 29.4 fps
free energy = 43.0 ft. lbs.

.454 Casull shows almost the same numbers in a 6.5" BFR (slightly lower, close enough to be imperceptible)
Also the .500 S&W shows almost identical figures in the larger, heavier (X frame?) revolvers.

This is a load that I use in my 444P. I kind of guessed at a reduced muzzle velocity for a 10" barrel BFR:
Recoil for a 4.8 lb. firearm (.444 BFR 10") with 54.0 gr. smokless powder firing a 300 gr. bullet at @1900 fps Muz. Vel.:

impulse = 3.5 lb./sec.
free velocity = 23.4 fps
free energy = 40.8 ft. lbs.

Just for comparison, here is a load that I use in my 5.5" Super Blackhawk .44 Mag:

Recoil for a 3 lb. firearm (5.5" SBH) with 24.0 gr. smokless powder firing a 250 gr. bullet at @1300 fps Muz. Vel.:

impulse = 1.9 lb./sec.
free velocity = 20.0 fps
free energy = 18.7 ft. lbs.

I've shot my .475 immediately after firing my .44Mag, and let me say: There is absolutely no comparison. The .44 Mag is a cannon, the bigger boys are brutal.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Quote from : mountain_man

Mine is a 673 as well. I like the style so much I now own 4 more very similar rifles: 6.5RM/673, .308Win/673, .300SAUM/673 and a Model Seven Whitetail in .270WSM which uses the same action, barrel (fluted, no rib or sights) and stock. Yup, I think they're kinda purty too! ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
336ER said:
Quote from : mountain_man

Mine is a 673 as well. I like the style so much I now own 4 more very similar rifles: 6.5RM/673, .308Win/673, .300SAUM/673 and a Model Seven Whitetail in .270WSM which uses the same action, barrel (fluted, no rib or sights) and stock. Yup, I think they're kinda purty too! ;)
I also love the styling on it. Personally, I think it has one of the most attractive stocks ever put on a rifle. I would also like to aquire one in 6.5 though the 300SAUM holds no interest for me, but that may be because I enjoy history and the 350 and 6.5 were both the originals in the models 600 and 660. I won't hijack this thread again, but I might send you a personal message with some questions about your rifles.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You Yanks and your handguns!!!!

I know somewhere a guy is building a 50 BMG handgun. This one will fill in fine until then. Don't know what the foot-pounds of recoil is but the wrist-pounds will be somewhere just south of "I think this was a mistake can you drive me to emergency, I'm also deaf now so can you speak up!"

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well Bob, someone in Russia has already built a 600 Nitro Express Revolver. So the 50 BMG developement is kinda pointless now. I mean, would you really want to downsize it? :p by the by, you can look that revolver up on Youtube if you like. It is real, and they do fire it!

·
Registered
492 Posts
mountain_man86 said:
Well Bob, someone in Russia has already built a 600 Nitro Express Revolver. So the 50 BMG developement is kinda pointless now. I mean, would you really want to downsize it? :p by the by, you can look that revolver up on Youtube if you like. It is real, and they do fire it!
I looked up the youtube vid and found a few. The recoil is ferocious. However, the 50 BMG handgun already exists. Amazing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts