Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here and fairly new to the 444 Marlin. Here's my question: I'm looking at purchasing a 444 in a Model 444 and I have an opportunity to buy a local pre-crossbolt gun with a scope. Is this a better option than going to local gun shop and ordering a brand Model 444? What are the pros and cons of each? Either way I'll get a 444 Marlin, but I don't want to get ripped off or end up with a lemon. Thank fellas.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I don't think you would be making a bad move at all. Some prefer the pre-crossbolt safety models. If in good shape and the price is right, jump on it. Welcome, and don't be afraid to ask questions, lot of knowledge here. Damn good bunch of guys here willing to share what they have learned. DP

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I think going with the used 444 would be the best choice. With all the "stuff" that is coming out of Remington these days I would stay far away from a new Marlin at least until, or if, they ever starting making good rifles again.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
tbk405,
Welcome to the forum! do you handload? the real old 444's are a better gun then the newer ones, there are a few differences between the older and newer that you may or may not like.

The original 444's with the 24" barrel, barrel bands, narrow hammer, good trigger, buttery smooth actions, honed chamber and of course the high comed buttstock that was in a straight stock config with 1-38 twist barrel with Microgroove rifling, the very early models had the rounded lever, then in around 1970 they went with the square lever. They did make a model with a 22" barrel with barrel bands, I'm not sure what else it had.

The newer models had a 22" barrel, wide hammer, worse trigger, forearm bands, courser action, normal as today buttstock that was in pistol grip config and the 1-38 twist Microgroove barrel, IIRC it was a 444S model, the S was for "Sporter" then the added the cross bolt safety and called it a 444SS.

Then the latest models were had in either a 18.5" or 22" barrels (18.5" was the 444P) (the 22" was the 444SS)
they were the same as above but, except the 444P had a straight stock, both had the 1-20 ballard rifling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Starrbow, I do handload and would need to get some good loads for the 265 gr. Hornady FP and then some good loads for heavy, 300+ grain bullets. Currently my rifle of choice is a No. 1H in 405 Win. and I LOVE that gun. I've taken several deer and a dozen bison with it and the way it brings down game is almost magic. However, I'd really like a repeater and the 444 Marlin is very similar to the 405 Win. Thanks again for the advice guys.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, It is Very SImilar in regards to the 405 Winchester. I have never yet had to track a deer with my 444. I have a 444S model, basically the same used gun you probably have a chance to buy.

If you can, Ask the guy at the store to remove the bolt so you can examine the bore. IF it looks good, buy it

The main thing you have to worry about as far as the rifle being a lemon is the bore. If it looks pretty clean it should be a good gun. If the Muzzle is beat up, that is a simple job of grinding and recutting the crown by a gunsmith and doesn't take to much work. I have a feeling you will love your 444 no matter which you get, and You will probably find that the 265gr Hornady is all you will ever need for any white-tail or Mule deer in the world. It is a wonderful cartridge to handload for though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I missed out on the used gun. I guess I shouldn't wait next time. Anywho, thanks for the info and advice and I'll keep my eyes open for another good, used 444.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I looked at a 444S today at a gun show. It was beautiful very nice wood, S/N begins with 000. My first Marlin was a 444, 1970 Centennial model...I wanted that rifle today...No I don't...Yes I do...No I don't...yes I do, No I don't...........sheeesh ::) And it was only $500.00...

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
tkb405 said:
Hi guys, I'm new here and fairly new to the 444 Marlin. Here's my question: I'm looking at purchasing a 444 in a Model 444 and I have an opportunity to buy a local pre-crossbolt gun with a scope. Is this a better option than going to local gun shop and ordering a brand Model 444? What are the pros and cons of each? Either way I'll get a 444 Marlin, but I don't want to get ripped off or end up with a lemon. Thank fellas.
Your choices are.......

Used Marlin® 444 Blue/Walnut - 24" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove
Used Marlin® 444T Blue/Walnut - 24" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove
Used Marlin® 444S Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:38" Microgroove
Used Marlin® 444XLR Stainless/Laminate - 24" Barrel 1:20" Ballard
Used Marlin® 444P Blue/Walnut - 18½" Ported Barrel 1:20" Ballard
Used Marlin® 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:38"
Used Marlin® 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:20" Ballard
New Marlington/Remlin 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel 1:20" Ballard
New Marlington/Remlin 444XLR Stainless/Laminate - 24" Barrel 1:20" Ballard

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hey Dawei, not trying to nit pick at all but shouldn't the last used Marlin 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel be listed as 1:20 Ballard, not Microgroove?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
DDS444 said:
Hey Dawei, not trying to nit pick at all but shouldn't the last used Marlin 444SS Blue/Walnut - 22" Barrel be listed as 1:20 Ballard, not Microgroove?
That's what I thought, Because mine is not Microgroove...LOL...

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts
My .444 has the MG, course it's from 1994 with a 22" barrel. The catalogs I have from Marlin going to 2006 to date show the Ballard 1:20 twist however. Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Its not a wrong move ...................... ??? Its the right move.......................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have fun,,,,,,,,,and buy a recoil pad :p :p :p :p

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
DDS444 said:
I added that gun to the post.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think the original 38 inch twist was better for all around shooting and hunting, but if you plan on heavy bullets they are no bueno, and you will want a 20 inch twist.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Some people still don't get the 1-38 Microgroove!

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
Starrbow said:
That's a fact!!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Starrbow said:
How does the slower twist outperform the faster twist with heavy bullets exactly? I prefer the 38 inch twist because it is more versatile for the powder capacity of the 444. I spend most of my time shooting pistol bullets from mine, some at cat sneeze levels. I just prefer that to thumping my shoulder to pieces driving a heavy bullet at a fast enough velocity so that my slow rifling can stabilize it for accurate shooting. Anyway, that is why Marlin invented the 20 inch twist...you don't have to drive the heavies too fast to achieve the same

Take care and all the best. Rif

*****This post was modified by me because the first one was too confrontational :-[. I think that this site is a great place for people to learn and SHARE their opinions and that is what I strive to do. I have learned that some of you found enough offense with the original post that you have changed your mind about joining team 32 Special. For that there is no excuse, and I want to say that I am sorry, and if you want to PM me, I will give you a personal apology. I have the same problem with my walk with God, and come to Him regulurly, and wonder how he could have such patience and love for a person like me. Anyway, I am here because I want to be here, I feel I have a lot to offer this site because I want to learn and I want to give. You all are my type of people and that pretty much sums it up. Rif******

1 - 20 of 37 Posts