Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
I sold my youngest son a very nice 1977 444 yesterday. He had never shot a 444 so we walked over to his range behind his house where he had several swinging steel targets. We started off with a 16 inch barreled 1894 in 44 Mag and it hit what we shot at. The range to the steel targets was 30 yards and the first shot with the 444 using 265 gr Hornady's at a piece of 1-inch steel knocked a crater in the steel as big as a fifty cent piece.

It almost penetrated the steel, there was a big knot on the back side of the steel where the bullet almost came through. We shot again with the same result. With each shot, we saw what appeared to be the bullet bouncing back about ten feet in front of the target. Upon further inspection, it looked like a cup of thin copper weighing about 20 grains that came off the bullet, I am assuming it was the jacket but it was formed into a small cup. I have shot a lot of 444 rounds downrange but never dreamed it would almost penetrate the steel as it did. My son said the 444 did not kick as much as he anticipated and it felt more like the recoil of the 44 Mag in the light 16 inch barreled rifle. He is now a convert and I am without a 444. LOL!
Another convert hope it never ends

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.