Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I sold my youngest son a very nice 1977 444 yesterday. He had never shot a 444 so we walked over to his range behind his house where he had several swinging steel targets. We started off with a 16 inch barreled 1894 in 44 Mag and it hit what we shot at. The range to the steel targets was 30 yards and the first shot with the 444 using 265 gr Hornady's at a piece of 1-inch steel knocked a crater in the steel as big as a fifty cent piece.

It almost penetrated the steel, there was a big knot on the back side of the steel where the bullet almost came through. We shot again with the same result. With each shot, we saw what appeared to be the bullet bouncing back about ten feet in front of the target. Upon further inspection, it looked like a cup of thin copper weighing about 20 grains that came off the bullet, I am assuming it was the jacket but it was formed into a small cup. I have shot a lot of 444 rounds downrange but never dreamed it would almost penetrate the steel as it did. My son said the 444 did not kick as much as he anticipated and it felt more like the recoil of the 44 Mag in the light 16 inch barreled rifle. He is now a convert and I am without a 444. LOL!

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
I was shooting my 44 mag last year (dialing in a new scope) and had set a jug of water on top of an old pull behind harrow. I shot low, and was surprised to see this neat hole, right through the steel angle iron. That's just Winchester white box 44 mag ammo. I don't shoot my steel targets with anything over .357 or 30-30. Even the 30-30 makes a dent.

I'll admit, that 44 magnum surprised the heck out'a me!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I sold my youngest son a very nice 1977 444 yesterday. He had never shot a 444 so we walked over to his range behind his house where he had several swinging steel targets. We started off with a 16 inch barreled 1894 in 44 Mag and it hit what we shot at. The range to the steel targets was 30 yards and the first shot with the 444 using 265 gr Hornady's at a piece of 1-inch steel knocked a crater in the steel as big as a fifty cent piece.

It almost penetrated the steel, there was a big knot on the back side of the steel where the bullet almost came through. We shot again with the same result. With each shot, we saw what appeared to be the bullet bouncing back about ten feet in front of the target. Upon further inspection, it looked like a cup of thin copper weighing about 20 grains that came off the bullet, I am assuming it was the jacket but it was formed into a small cup. I have shot a lot of 444 rounds downrange but never dreamed it would almost penetrate the steel as it did. My son said the 444 did not kick as much as he anticipated and it felt more like the recoil of the 44 Mag in the light 16 inch barreled rifle. He is now a convert and I am without a 444. LOL!
Another convert hope it never ends

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Interesting. I shot a young spike at about 30 yards with a factory Hornady 444 265 gr Superformance round and it came to rest under the skin on the off side shoulder. Granted, the front of the deer was hamburger but it didn't exit. I guess the toughness and elasticity of the hide was able to absorb the remaining energy by stretching and then snapping back in place.

The deer was not wearing body armor. :hmmmm2:

T.S.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
If a spike absorbed all that energy, he must'a flown sideways like we see on TV! First deer I shot with my 444 was a little spike buck, at maybe 80 yards. He was facing to my left when I fired, when the rifle came back down after the shot he was laying to the ground facing to my right! Wish I'd seen how he did that so quick. The bullet was a factory Superperformance 265 gr and it passed clean through. That bullet is hard on shoulder meat though.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I had one of those low to the ground swinging disks made for pistols like the 38. Put it out 100yds and hit it with a 290gr Beartooth cast. snapped the disk right off the shaft it hangs on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.