Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working out of town the last part of last week and passed a very small Pawn shop in a trailer next to a house. I stopped in to look around on my way back by, and there setting on the rack, I spied a Marlin bullseye on a butt stock and an old Marlin sticker on the forearm. I had to take a closer look. Turned out to be a 1991 1895 SS 45/70, in excellent condition. It was tagged at $499. I wasn't really in the market for a 45/70, cause after all, I have a 444! I handed it back to the guy and commented on how nice it was and that it should last long. He said, "If it was a 30-30 it would have already been gone, I can't keep them very long at all". I also fondled a Savage over and under in 410/22 LR that he had marked at $200, in fair shape.

It was late in the day so I stopped at the next town that had a room and went to bed thinking about those rifles. The next morning I backtracked (about 50 miles) just to make sure the Marlin was as nice as I dreamed that it was. All I found was a small blemish on the stock, not enough to ever worry about, cause I plan on making a few myself (not on purpose of course, but my safe is a bit crowded since the marlinitis thing infected me). It didn't appear to have been fired much at all, just needed a good cleaning. (which I haven't done yet)

I dickered as best I could with a silly grin on my face and ended taking it home with a leather sling and a zipper case for $500 out the door. The other Marlin in the photo was the result of him not having any ammo for the danged thing. I stopped at another shop for ammo and a 30TK followed me out the door. That story is in the 336 Forum.

The Savage was already gone, which turned out for the best. I'd much rather have the Texan. :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nicely done!! Now shoot 'em!! Congrats...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 45/70!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Great find, but why didnt you get that Savage for 200 when you saw it? :hmmmm: I wish we had firearms in pawn shops here in Hellifornia (well at least in my area)

Doc

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great find, but why didnt you get that Savage for 200 when you saw it? :hmmmm: I wish we had firearms in pawn shops here in Hellifornia (well at least in my area)

That's a darn good question! I wasn't sure I could swing for both and the condition of that 1895 really got my attention. After I'd slept on it I decided to go back and get both of them.........but I snoozed and loosed. :-( It worked out for the best really cause I was still able to afford the Texan I stumbled on next. And I'll use it more than a 410/22,........ I don't think I could have walkwd away at all if it had been a 20/22mag though. I'll just have to keep looking, darn it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congratulations on a great deal and owning two fine calibers. I couldn't decide either and have a 1895 GBL and a 444P. They both make me :biggrin: every time I shoot either!!!

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey K,

Wait until you take a venison with the 1895!

Great score!

Think you have a very good handle on your Marlinitis! LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: kraynky

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey K,

Wait until you take a venison with the 1895!

Great score!

Think you have a very good handle on your Marlinitis! LOL

Later, Mark
Everytime I think it's in remission and I have it in control, up pops a "deal I can't resist". I try hard, and often even walk away, tempting someone else to step up and buy it. But then when I can't get anything accomplished because of thinking about it, I cave in. It's got ME under control, and I just have to accept that marlinitis is something I have to live with.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know...........I'm worried about what's going to happen to my wood............... :flute:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts