Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they insane? I didn't want to crack out the reloader so I thought I would grab a box or two for an upcoming pig hunt. I have half a mind to call them and see if they flipped their wagon. I remember when it was $16 a box. $40 might even be reasonable maybe even $60 but over a hundred? This isn't 416 Rigby ammo. I don't care if it is Corbon. This is just flat wrong.

Cor-Bon Hunter Ammo 444 Marlin 305 Grain Flat Nose Penetrator Box of

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I paid $40 for a box of .45-70 several months back. I thought that THAT was outrageous!

Steve

Reactions: 1022

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
Yikes, I know the price of raw materials have skyrocketed due to our failing dollar but seriously, that equates to $5.65 per trigger pull!!!

Cor-Bon must be awfully proud of their ammo. Or they're testing the limits of what price is possible? Nuts.

Jack

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Tell me about it. I bought a box of the Cor-Bon 305gr Penetrators for testing purposes. They are quite the bullet, but not so hot at max velocity into water. It's one of a couple bullets that had the medium do things to these bullets that any other medium or tissue would not do. For that reason and a couple of other reasons, I have had to repeat tests and I have used up almost the whole box of these $6 a squeeze rounds. I probably need to use some other sort of medium to test with to validate my theory that water is not a good test medium for this bullet.
I would say they are accurate.
Are they worth $113? Not to me.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Well I don't know where Cor-Bon gets their brass, but unless they have some source of availability, just the factor to there being very little to no new brass available could be a big factor in that terrible price.

As long as it's been in decreasing supply, I hope anyone setting up to have a triple 4 brass run makes it a big one.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
970 Posts
If I had to hunt deer with a $6 a round 444M ammo I would take my single shot and leave the LG in the safe.

BB

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My handloads with hard cast gas check bullets cost roughly $0.25 a squeeze. Add the shipping and fees and the price of one box of the CorBon is honestly a little over $130 to your door.
So considering a total cost of $6.50 a round for the Cor-Bon and $.25 for my roll my own, I can shoot 26 rounds of my homegrown for the cost of one round of the Penetrator.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Garrett Cartridges has their Exited ammo for $150 a box. Not too bad!:shot:

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Bought a new mold from Tom at Accurate Molds awhile back.

275gr WFN (Wide Flat Nose) - gas checked style which I am sizing at .431.

My son shoots a triple 4 and I bought the mold for that reason and the possibility, providing it shoots well of dropping down a bit in weight from the 310gr I have been shooting in my .44 RedHawk.

Sure wish Jeff was currently in the area as I'd really like to see how this boolit does on game when shot from his triple 4.

So, mt_sourdough, I hear ya about ammo cost when I'm casting and loading my own.

Using cast in my 45/70 and frankly give shooting some number of rounds little thought as the cost is simply of little concern.

Finding components has been an issue for many folks, but smart people have a stash that will last awhile and it is pretty much business as usual for them. Cast and Load and go shoot!

Better break out the loading gear Mikewood!!!!!!!!

By the way, "hardcast" is a much overused term that has little meaning except in those few places that provide a tested hardness.

In truth, true "hardcast" would likely be a very poor choice of bullet and/or bullet alloy as it would likely be prone to shattering.

When compared to say, linotype, most good bullet alloys even those termed, "hardcast" are much softer.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
But at least Midway will no longer gouge you on shipping!!!! LOL
Midway advertised that they have low shipping costs, but shipping ammo is still expensive. They wanted $15.29 for Federal Blue Box 30-30 150 grain (Fed#30-30a) but once the shipping charges come out to about $3 a box on top of that price. If they can't get you at the front end they get you at the back end. Someone told me they have to pay a hazardous product fee for ammo, but I don't know if its true or not.

Mike T.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
i have been handloading since 1970 i think i bought a box of 30-06 in 1987 for some reason? i have a house full of componets and equipment and i thank God! when i here about the price gouging going on with loaded ammo. i get gouged enough buying componets! every shooter needs to handload, they might have a hard time taking guns but there is nothing in the constitution about ammo. call me a nut but i think that is whats going on here. after all the liberals have said they would tax ammo out of existence.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
i'm glad i reload!!!:biggrin: even tho i load hornadys, its still a long way way to $113....:vollkommenauf:

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I quess some of my loads are worth $226.00 a box!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I reload my own .444 rounds 300 at a time ( that's how many fit in the ammo can) with my own home cast RD checked boolits & W844 powder. For $120 I will fill that can twice!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
For what is is worth, loaded 444 is at Natchez in stock for under 40 a box, standard Remington and Hornady loads.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts