Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a lever action, (2006) marlin 444 recently and out of about 60 rounds fired so far (20 rounds 240gr Remington / 265 gr hornady remainder) , two have not properly ejected. I had to remove the shell with a cleaning rod. Does anyone have an idea what the problem may be.

Also, I'm not sure if this is normal, but today while firing the hornady rounds I noticed that the lever slightly opened upon firing: maybe 1/8" at the fingers. I'm not sure if this if the norm. Can anyone shed some light one these issues for me?

Thanks

Dan

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
A sticky chamber may very well come from overexpansion of brass from an overly hot load. Your grip may need to tighten, as this is a common concern from someone not familiar with higher pressure loads and or big bores.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
The ejection problem could be a combination of sticky/dirty chamber and worn extractor, or it could be simply that you're not working the lever hard/fast enough. If the extractor isn't slipping off the rim the loads could be too hot in that particular gun. A good cleaning would be the first thing I'd try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts