Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just looking at my wish list at Midway and noticed that 100 count 444 brass is $80.00... Any one have ideas on why this is so expensive? It must be because it is a low volume item...

james

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Given that I've had to pay 30-40$ for fifty, these last couple of years, that's not out of line for 100. If you need the brass, better get it because it it only becomes available on an infrequent basis. Can be very hard to find 444 brass. Getting brass for less than common cartridges always costs more, especially when there are enough folks shooting it and wanting it to exceed the supply.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Have ya seen any in stock Anywhere??? Im guessing low volume Item as well and when they do get it in, It will probably be gone in mins.
Im grabbing brass the hard way. Buying loaded ammo anywhere I can as to have the brass for later. My local Acadamy Sports got in 11 boxes about 3 months ago. 7 boxs are still there. Seems Im the only one buying it. $38 a box and sure as heck beats Gander at close to $50 a box. Crappy way to accumilate brass but whats a guy to do?

Hayden.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just paid 115.00 per 100 for Nickel plated brass on GB. Hard to find so I paid the price. 45-70 is cheap compared to the 444 !

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
i'm glad i got mine, 250ct of remingtons, 50 of hornady(short brass), now if mgm makes a barrel or an old marlin then i'll be in business.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have always wondered why Starline isn't making 444 brass.
If they did, it probably wouldn't be any cheaper than Hornady brass.

But, with a fairly thin case wall at the mouth, perhaps they wouldn't have the typical "New Starline" issues to fight -- ridiculous neck tension, absolute refusal to be sized/expanded/formed before the first firing, and the coating of impossible-to-remove residue in the neck. (If you haven't dealt with their bottleneck brass, or straight wall / straight taper cases with case walls thicker than ~0.018", you may not understand.)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
They only make what their customers ask for, with enough demand to justify the tooling costs.

If enough people ask, you may receive.

That's why they started making .327 Federal brass. For a while, they kept telling people that they wouldn't make it, because Federal was offering component brass (well, claiming they would at a future date) and there wasn't enough demand for two suppliers to be in the market. But, when Federal failed to deliver, a whole bunch of customers (and a few specialty ammo companies) went back to constantly requesting the brass from Starline. About a year and a half later.... They sold out their first run in less than 48 hours (estimated to be 150k cases, but Starline won't say how much Buffalo Bore, Freedom Arms, and a few other places purchased). Today, it still sells out in less than a week, every time they make a production run.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Even though I probably have MY lifetime supply of 444 brass I sent Starline a E-mail asking if they are considering making 444 brass. Being Rem. and Hornady are not keeping up with demand. They make some obscure caliber brass so they know they don't have to sell a billion of them to make a profit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have also been paying $40/50 pieces for about 11/2 years. So if you see it buy it because I think its now made from the rare earth mineral unobtainium.
It must be. I bought my 444 new in '07 and two 100 piece boxes of 444 brass from midway for reloading. $40.00 @ 100. The box of nickel plated was $45.00 @ 100.
BTW: I am still reloading the first 100 pieces. Very good brass and I have killed more with my press than wore out any.

BTW also: I just wonder what happened since 7 years ago that caused all the ammo and reloading prices to go up. Hmmmm, Maybe I can remember by November.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Was just looking at my wish list at Midway and noticed that 100 count 444 brass is $80.00... Any one have ideas on why this is so expensive? It must be because it is a low volume item...

james
Price looks about right. The casing manufactures only make 444 between July and September each year. Seasonal stuff for the most part. I have been collecting the casings each year with a 100 units each year. The 444 casings last along time, and in a season, I may fire those casings may be twice in a season, evening checking out the drop dead center. Have fun with the 444, you are going to like that rifle.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just looked at my auction on GB for the Nickel plated 444 brass that I paid 115.00 for and checked his other auction that he had for 100 normal 444 brass and they went for 120.00. I just wanted the Nickel to make it easier to keep my 444 and my 45-70 Brass separate.

Reactions: vrkar10

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does Hornady sell the short brass as a component or does a guy have to purchase loaded gummy tips to get some? Does anyone here have maybe 20-40 cases thay would like to sell?

·
Premium Member
6,119 Posts
Does Hornady sell the short brass as a component or does a guy have to purchase loaded gummy tips to get some? Does anyone here have maybe 20-40 cases thay would like to sell?
I can't imagine any brass maker producing short 444 brass when all the reloader has to do is trim the brass down. Remington was the only one making brass for the 444 and then Hornady offers ammo in both 444 brass length so probably trim their own as needed. IF you can't here try Guns for Sale - Online Gunbroker or other action sites.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was just hoping to find someone that had the short brass for sale. I have a trimmer but don't want to trim unless absolutely necessary. (It's not) I have plenty of other bullets to load. Thanks for the heads up though.
Randy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts