Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went into a big search for a 444 bolt action after missing a very large Ohio buck this past season due to ballistics on my ol' 12 gauge shotgun. After many searches I ran across a custom made gun. I found a Springfield 1903 action with a custom match grade handcut barrel in a 444. It was made by Bill Atkinson who was a gunsmith in Arizona and made custom guns for the Olympics and worked as a foreman for Ruger. I have replaced the scope with a Leupold VX-II 4x12 since UPS damaged the original scope. This is the only pics I have of it at the moment. I've shot it a few times but not enough to see how it's going to shoot as I was just shooting it to make sure it was okay since I had a week to check it out. I can't wait to see how it actually patterns now.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/jamiez71/SPRINGFIELD 1903 CUSTOM/1903-1_zps5eqd8c5y.jpg

·
Registered
800 Posts
Great choice! The figure on the stock is beautiful. Be sure to let us know how she shoots!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats, and a nice looking rifle! I happen to have a sporterized '03A3 Springfield myself, hmmmm..... ha!
Enjoy... ;D

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful rifle! He does good work, for sure.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get out to range again. I can shoot far enough here at my house due to trees and horses.

I had to have a gunsmith make a scope spacer because the leupold base and rings were for a 1903a3 and not a plain 1903. Spacer was .055" tonget it level and scope to zero. The scope and rings that ups damaged were too low for the bigger Leupold. Good to hear your all's feedback.

·
Registered
642 Posts
That is a really cool rifle.I have always liked the springfield 03 rifles.I had a 03 custom in 280 that was a real beauty .Ejoy that Nice new rifle.

Reactions: Jamiez71

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've enjoyed just looking at it so far. I can't wait to enjoy shooting it often. Hopefully getting that Boone and Crockett buck I missed last year with it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is a nice looking rifle. I bet it shoots great to boot! What type of rifling and twist rate does it have? The zone I currently hunt in doesn't allow bottleneck or cases over 1.8" long for deer hunting. So I rebarreled a 1891 Mauser in 44x1.8" off of 30-06 brass since my 444 Marlin shot badly with 1.8" cases and the bullet seated out. I looked at different twist rate barrels and got a 1:20". What did they have to do in order to get the rimmed cases to feed well in the Springfield?

Reactions: Jamiez71

·
Registered
170 Posts
very nice , And I have a CZ-24 action to use for gun smith school, but have had no idea what to build, I like that idea .

·
Registered
970 Posts
Some Siamese Mausers were made up in 444 Marlin. They were set up for a rimmed cartridge. Also in 45-70.
A few years ago I had the chance to buy a 444m Siamese barrel action and I passed. Still mad at myself over that mistake.

BB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts