Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying one of these thumpers and wondering who do you buy your ammo from? Thanks.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 444 is one that really need to reload for. The ammo shows up here and there like bass pro etc but usually is the 240gr or evolution flavor. Just have to keep an eye out for it since its not on the shelves all the time. The 444 really shines with 265 and heavier, like the Hornaday’s 265 superformance . Of late the Hornaday 265 seems to be very hard to find though. If not already reloading, the 444 is a good one to start with since most do not be shoot large amounts of that ammo. Even a basic “wack-uh-mole” reloader set or a entry level press can turn out enough ammo in an evening for many shooting sessions very economically . There is lots of info here on reloading for the 444 in the 444 and reloading sections so should go thru those posts for more about getting the best performance from the 444.

·
Registered
726 Posts
While it is true that you can get the best performance by reloading, it is also true that the 444 with factory 240 gr ammo will outperform any rifle you are currently using out to 200 yards. Even the little rem 240 ' s flat knock deer down period. Maybe even better than the hornady 265 ' s due to the rems wider meplat.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Here for the last 3 to 4 months, my local Acadamy Sports has had no less that 12 boxes on the shelf. I knock them down a few boxes over the months and they replenish it right away. Remington Coreloks has hit another home run for me in this Cal. The 240s shoot great and are very accurate. Just like in my 30-30s and 35s. I have been very happy with the Coreloks to say the least. I do find some 444 at Cabelas some times in both Rem. and Hornady but for some reason, Acadamy has had better supply for me. You can find it for sure, and if you cant, contact us here on the board. Heck, Ill buy all you want and ship it to ya if your short in your area.

Hayden.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Last time I bought 444 I ordered it online; had trouble finding some locally, and when I did they just plain were asking too much for it I thought. Planning ahead and buying it when you come across it to make sure you have some stock on hand is best. I plan to start reloading soon, bought dies, and have a starter kit etc. Just need to get my act together and get to work... :biggrin:
Good luck to you, and get that 444...

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
most Academy stores have several boxes on the shelf

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Cabelas has it in stock now with $5.00 shipping for a order $99.00 and up and the Remington has a rebate offer as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info guys and thank you very much. I did some reloading back in the eighties for revolvers but haven't reloaded since then. I just recently bought a Lyman T Mag starter kit and should be set up soon. I'm close to closing the deal on the 444. I'll post a pic when I get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts