Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? "44" ???

I came close to buying a 1894 or a 336 at the Tulsa gun show Sat., but I have read just enough negative reports about feeding and accuracy problems to make me shy away from them until I can get some feedback from this forum.

Charlie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: ??? "44" ???

Charlie,

There are very few production guns that can not be improved by tuning the action, especially Lever Action and, feeding problems usually center on tuning the cycle by a competent Lever smith like Dave Clay or Jim Brockman.

But, when it comes to accuracy, a reasonable Break-In period, possibly even Marshall Stanton's (Beartooth Bullet) Fire Lapping see:
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=7503&highlight=firelapping.
This particular link takes you to a discussion around Firelapping a .44 Mag Marlin 1894p.

However, before even starting a Break-In period, or considering Fire Lapping, there's a lot to say about Jacketed and Lead bullets. I'm not going to attempt anything thorough here-and-now since much of this subject is both subjective and extremely experience-based. The only point I will make is that you need to both keep good records then, analyze your results via logic and objectivity.

My experience has taught me that you can NOT simply switch from Jacketed to Lead ... end of statement.
However, Break-In requires the use of Jacketed to smooth rough areas followed by removal of residual Copper.
If you fire Lead after Jacketed, without removing the residual Copper, you will create a Copper/Lead alloy that eventually creates Leading.
Leading kills accuracy.
A rough barrel kills accuracy.
High velocity (high pressures) with Lead needs Gas Checks but, Gas Checks are Copper and, cleaning to remove Copper and Lead is also required.

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
??? "44" ???

My 1894 in .44 mag is one of my favorites. The factory sights are very basic. A receiver sight is cheap and easy to install if you don't like the original. I use a 'Williams FP' on mine for the easy adjustment.
My rifle never failed to function with .44 mag ammo, either commercial or handloaded. The only problem I had was with .44 Spl with aluminum cartridge cases and I fixed that by replacing the carrier. The darned thing is fun with plastic cartridges in the cellar and fire breathing max loads on the range.
Accuracy here is within 2" at 50 yards using iron sights if I stay with a consistent load. Thats about as good as my eyesight.
I've been advised by experts that the only problem with my rifle is that there is a loose nut behind the rear sight.
Jim

G

·
Re: ??? "44" ???

CharlieinKansas said:
I came close to buying a 1894 or a 336 at the Tulsa gun show Sat., but I have read just enough negative reports about feeding and accuracy problems to make me shy away from them until I can get some feedback from this forum.

Charlie
I own over two dozen Marlin's most are 336's or 1894's and the majority are new production :D And I haven't had feeding problems from any :!: That could change tommorrow or when I get another but so far that is not an issue :D :D :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts