Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looked heeled to me, what do you guys think?

Metal

Left - 43-200Q
Right - .44 WCF

The bullet: Measurements are approx

Weight - 200gr

Meplat - .274
Nose radius - as seen in photos
Dia. at Heel - .4225 (driving band)
Heel Dia - .421
Crimp Band- .060
Grooves - .075 each
Middle Band - .075
Base Band - .050

Bullet Length - .600
Heeled AOL - .320
Bullet Seating Depth - .2935
Gap left between crimp and base of heel/driving band when roll crimped as noted in photo

Tire Automotive tire Auto part

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Metal

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I dissected an early WRA headstamped cartridge. The bullet is what I expected, just like John's in the photos I posted. I have to go with what I find and the early bullet that came out of the disected unheadstamped WRA case is heeled.

The WRA bullet measurements are:

Above crimp - .415 (possibly reduced due to oxidation) unlike the early bullets .4225
Crimp - .404 unlike the early bullet's .412 ( I think it was)
Lower Bands - .4225 unlike the early bullet's .421

The base of the bullet, like the earlier one, was also bad oxidized. Possibly causing the bullets to expand outward and "push out" a little giving the appearance of a lube groove.

Green Rock Glass Still life Rectangle

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aka 44/40. Yes, it's heeled. The 44 Russian ( thank you Czar ) was the first use of a non heeled bullet in a handgun
No 44-40 I have ever seen, other than this one early bullet, is heeled...even so, this one is only slightly heeled but heeled it is.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received my new Accurate Molds 43-208A. Sizing up a tad for modern "loading", but this is the replica of the late 1870's bullet I pulled. I also casts some 42499's. Sorry for the slight glaze on the 43-208A's but I just couldn't find that sweet spot temp for some reason today. Now to take them to the range to see how they perform!!

Metal Fashion accessory Silver

oops on the glaze

Auto part Automotive wheel system Ammunition

For a recap...

WRA 1878-80ish
Weight - 200gr
Meplat - .274
Nose radius - as seen in photos
Dia. at Heel - .4225 (driving band)
Heel Dia - .421

43-208A
Text White Font Line Design

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got to the range this morning to test out the Accurate 43-208A. I was rather surprised with the results.
100 Yards, chrono decided not to work this morning.

Recreation Diagram Illustration Circle

Compare that with the Ideal 427098
Text Font Illustration Circle Space

And the Lyman 42499
Circle Planet Space Illustration Diagram

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Very nice shooting! I believe that boolit to be heeled as well. I had a non-functioning chrony problem too the last time I went to the range. Too much shade from the trees as the sun was in the wrong position. I should have shot a few hours later. I like your hardcast 200 gr 44 WCF! I don't have the facilities to do my own casting unfortunately and have to buy locally. I have been shooting 240 gr Proofmark Bullets non-GC hardcast in a Uberti SAA clone 44 SPL and also a Uberti 1860 Colt Army conversion Open Top 44 SPL. Can't get any better than shootin' 44 caliber lead boolits.

Reactions: Savvy_Jack

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Target 191 revisited as 191A. As we all know, it takes more than a few shots to see the true nature of the cartridge/firearm/shooter. Today I used a Caldwell Rock Jr rifle rest. A lot different than my Hyskore rifle rest. Nevertheless, the groups opened up as expected for the 427098 bullet.

The three shot group from July 4th is circled in center. The groups opened up and shot low left. This still has potential to open up with more shots or could stay at 4". Either way, this is good for the 44-40 @ 100 yards.

Art

The 43-208A didn't do so well. Could be my castings. Gotta get used to that aluminum mold block! Either way the group got larger with each shot.
Target 192 revisited as 192A

Power plugs and sockets String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.