Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Redhawk .44 Mag w/7 1/2" bbl. I carry when I hunt hawgs. I presently use 8.6 grains of TiteGroup and fling a .429 Speer 300 gr. SP. What do you think the velocity might be? I have chosen this load because the recoil is only about a 4" jump and I can group it very well in rapid fire. I know the bullet is heavy enough and was just looking for a semi-educated guess on velocity.

Thanks,

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Well, according to my Hodgdon manual, 8.6 grains of Tightgroup under a 300 grain Hornady produces 1079 fps.

That figure of course might be different in your revolver, with your bullet, but it's likely in the ballpark. Hodgdon lists it as a minimum load, with 9.6 grains & 1186 fps as maximum.

Guy

·
Registered
546 Posts
VTDW,
I’m guessing you’re shooting a Ruger, and the Hodgdon’s manual is for a Smith & Wesson. Two things: The Ruger Super Blackhawk, according to Speer #9, gives nearly marginally better velocity And the Hornady bullet in the Hodgdon’s is .430, not .429 like yours (does make a difference). Say 1080-1100 fps, ballpark.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much folks. I now am confident that my loads are great for the ever so dangerous wild boar I may encounter on my next hunt. :wink:

I love this site!!!

Dave 8)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to tell you this but a speer 300 grn soft point over 8.6 grns tightgroup is over loaded according to my load map for the 44 mag it shows a max load of 7.6 grns of that powder my Speer # 12 don't even list that powder for that bullet my new Hornady #6 only lists there 300 grn bullet it is .430 dia. and they do not show that powder either. But I found my last years Hogdon book it lists the Hornady .430 with 8.6 grn tight group at 1079 with 34,200 cup they list a 270 grn Speer with tight group and 8.6 grns at 1100 fps and 33,100 cup that round is loaded to identical COL as the 300 grn is suposed to be 30 grns bullet wt. extrapolated should slow you down 80 or so fps and raise pressure by maybe 2500-3000 cup I do not remember what the Redhawk is rated for but I know the ones I have owned were bears for strong. Are your fired cases showing any pressure signs? As a general rule i have found that Rugers tend to set primers back when slightly over pressure. I tried the 300 grn bullets once and was not overly impressed so went back to hard cast 260 grns over 11 - 12 grns of Unique But thats just me the deer still drop and do not seem to know what they were hit with. :D I generally hunt hawg with a 45-70 Marlin any how in fact the last few years i have hunted about every thing with my 1895 just love that rifle but my one or the other of my .44 mags go along just in case :roll: :p :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts