Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about taking a break from the magnum loads in my 1894SS and was going to try some .44 Special loads. Does anybody have any velocity data on factory loads fired from a carbine? I am most interested in the 200 gr. loads like the CCI Gold Dot or Winchester ST. Was wondering how much, if any, velocity is gained from the long barrel. Thanks.

Shawn in VA

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have a box of PMC 44 Sp. 180 JHP so I set up the Chrony to see what they would do. From the 24 inch barrel of my Marlin, six shots averaged 1008 fps. These are fun to shoot and are fairly accurate from this rifle. The PMCs were part of the deal when I bough the rifle, but I rarely shoot them, preferring a light loaded 44 mag case with a 200 grain lead bullet.

G

·
Thanks Longfin.

I found an older post that gave the velocity of the Winchester 200 gr. ST out of an 1894SS (893 FPS). I guess 44 Special loads don't really gain any velocity from the longer barrel.

Shawn in VA

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
You'd probably need to reload and use a slower burning powder to get extra fps with the 44 Spl. That's what I do with my 44-40 hunting loads.

·
Registered
89 Posts
44 Special

Couple years back, I shot a porkypine with the 200 grain Silver Tip factory load. He rolled off the limb as if struck by Thor's hammer. Dead when he hit the ground. Would probably be okay for deer up close, say 45 feet or so.
Jack

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
210gr Silvertips at about 1900fps from a 44-40 will drop whitetails like they were lightning struck. I've never had to even think about a second shot with my 1894D in 44-40. Longest one so far has been right about 100yds so far.

I like those Silvertip JHPs.

Willy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I finally made it to the range and fired some PMC 180 gr. .44 Specials from my 1894SS. I thought the first shot was a dud! These things kick like a .22! No recoil and it's still shooting a .44 caliber, 180 gr. bullet at over 900 fps. I'm hooked!

Shawn in VA

·
Registered
696 Posts
Shawn . . .

I had the same experience with my .44 mag 1894 CB II Ltd w/ 24" bbl. It wasn't enough kick to give me "shooting satisfaction." I had to move to near max - complete max loads to get it to kick enough with (240s that is) to satisfy that inner need for recoil ! ! !

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
CapeBuff said:
Shawn . . .

I had the same experience with my .44 mag 1894 CB II Ltd w/ 24" bbl. It wasn't enough kick to give me "shooting satisfaction." I had to move to near max - complete max loads to get it to kick enough with (240s that is) to satisfy that inner need for recoil ! ! !
:lol: No brain, No pain :p :lol:

G

·
tubbythetuba said:
CapeBuff said:
Shawn . . .

:lol: No brain, No pain :p :lol:
Now come on, TTT, you have a 45-70 as well. NO COMPARISON! When I'm used to shooting 500 grain bullets and then step down to the 44 mags ? ? ? ?

NO PAIN, period ! ! !

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I don’t know. It’s probably like backs. You may have never actually hurt your back, but somewhere down the road (from years of abuse) you have to start getting those “cortisone” shots.
I just tried out some hand loads for my (Win 94) 45 Colt. One powder kicked so bad (with that skinny, “crescent moon” butt), that I didn’t even shoot the higher load. Call me a wimp, but I’m using the powder that fires smoother, groups better & has a higher velocity.
And I still have use of my arm ! :lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 20" 1894 with the factory CCI Blazer 200gr JHP gives 1180 fps over my chrono. Expansion is excellent and that bonded core Gold Dot is just a great bullet.

This load is very destructive on jacks, etc. It's NOT for hunting meat for the pot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arizona,

Wow, 1180 FPS! That does pick up quite a bit of velocity. That's the load I'm shooting now. I wish I had acces to a chrony, but I don't. The CCI load does shoot well for me though.

Shawn in VA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts