Marlin Firearms Forum banner

.44 Special Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  silvertip 
#1 ·
Would like to try Lee 310 grain cast in my .44 Special, NOT magnum. Powder I want to use is H-110. Can’t find no data. Rough extrapolation, emphasize rough, is that 13-14 grains should yield between 900-1000 fps, nicely within SAAMI pressure. Have any of you seen data for .44 Special with 310 grain cast and H-110?

#2 ·
I'm certainly no expert on this. But if I remember right there is a caution about reducing the load in H110. I don't think I would extrapolate. CALL THE MANUFACTURER AND FIND OUT WHAT THEY THINK. I would use 2400 or tite group.

#3 ·
Silvertip, what length barrel are you shooting? I know the feeling of wanting to use the powders you have on hand, but 296/H110 are intended for MAGNUM loadings, to wring all you can get from the available barrel. There's a good reason you can't find data for that load, those powders and mild loads don't mix well. There might actually be a good load combo that would work, but the Powder/Bullet folks aren't going to publish it, for fear someone would use it in the wrong gun. What gun, and for what reason are you wanting the data?

Papajohn

#4 ·
H-110 only works with full, or nearly full, loads. Older data gave just one load for it with each bullet, newer suggests one can reduce a whole grain in some loads. Not the sort of thing one gets with light H-4831, but rather reduced H-110 tends to not go off. That’s why the special question, reducing the case does allow reduced load.
.44 magnum 215-255 grain cast, H-110 gives about 1600 fps at 33,000-38,000 psi in 7.5” barrel and about 1200 fps at 13,000-15,000 psi in same gun with special cases and their lower charge. This from older manuals.
Have used H-110 in my Charter .44 special with good results. One of the early ones, has given good service for over 30 years. Also thinking that H-110 in special makes good sense in .44 magnum pistols for reduced loads. Especially in short barrels as the lower pressure probably ain’t going to lose as much per inch as 30,000+ psi loads. Thinking the difference in a 4” barrel between 30,000 psi magnum and 13,000 psi special might be only 200 fps. Don’t have a short barreled .44 magnum but, that could change. .44 versatile enough to justify several guns each cartridge.
Never tried the H-110 special loads in my magnum and the Charter kicks, but it kicks about the same with factory, reduced, H-110, plastic bullets, big grips, little grips, it kicks. Really sweet otherwise.
No data for .44 special with beautiful 310 grain cast. Large meplat looks like it might be good for self defense at lower velocities. Less variables and more consistent wound, especially stopping. Wouldn’t mind I could find a load with Bullseye, but suspect the pressure would really jump with that fast a powder. Questionable, but worth looking into for an around the pasture and foothills self defense load in magnum pistol.
Pressure jumps and velocity drops more when one moves up to 300 grains with .44 magnum, no data with .44 special. That’s why the extrapolation, to see if worth pursuing. I’ve concluded it is worth looking into further but ain’t about to make up my own data.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.