Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had to try. I had some 44 Russian lead loads, that I thought might be neat to shoot in the 1894. So I put 10 in and spent the next half hour getting them out. I finally popped the lever and the bolt assy. I am guessing they were feeding an extra round in and hanging up on the lifter? Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Larry

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the shorter pistol grip 1894PG. It was just a whim when I saw them setting on my desk. It would have been neat, with their light loading. They would have barely spit out of the barrel.
Bestboss

·
Registered
226 Posts
What's funny is they did work in my 1894 the first two trips out. And they were awesome to shoot. Hardly needed ear protection with them. For some reason, on the third trip I got the dreaded Marlin Jam. I'm not sure what changed. I suppose a 180 gr lead bullet and some Trail Boss in a 44 spl case would give a guy the same affect.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Whats the rim size on them compared to a 44 mag? If its smaller the lifter might not block them reliably. Also they just might be short enough that the lifter dont come up in time.
Even if they did work I'm not sure I'd do it because of the jump to the throat. Liable to get lead & crud building up at the front of the chamber making it hard to get a mag case in there.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rim diameter was the same. They are cut down 44 special cases, but I checked them anyway. I think it was .508 maybe? They would come out and jam up before the lifter has a chance to raise up, keeping it from moving.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Must be right on the edge since they worked for Jayhawkhuntclub. I wonder if you left them 1/10" or so longer?
If you try it again cycle the gun slowly & watch whats going on. You cant stop two from getting in but as long as you dont complete the opening stroke the lever wont bind everything up & it'll be easier to remove & clear.
What happens at the end of the opening stroke is the lever engages the rocker or little button on the lifter if its a newer gun. Once its engaged with the lifter it cant get back by until the lifter aligns with the chamber so if theres a case half way out of the mag everythings stuck good. Stopping before it engages leaves everything free.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

It is much easier if you just load two in the mag. Also, I just load them single shot.

Another thing, anything shorter than a 44 mag case leaves a carbon ring in the chamber and that ring must be removed before shooting magnum cases again. Otherwise, You will have high pressure and rings on your cases. Look at the two case mouths below.

Like that.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Russians loaded at 1.340 OAL. I thought it looked about right, but now, I don't even know where I got that number. They are round nose flat point bullets. that's ok, it was just a whim that I even tried them. I think I will try some specials though, to see if I can duplicate that light of a load without getting one stuck in the barrel.
Larry

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got 10 stuck years ago too ;D

Since then I just load 'em single shot. A real pleasure to shoot, the firing pin is about the loudest part. I load a 255gr SWC and 5grs of Unique. 1 hole groups at 50 yards :)

I don't worry about them being short, I just use a bit of elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I'm just curious, wouldn't it be easier to just use light loads, say Trail Boss, in magnum cases? I haven't tried anything like this, but it's just a thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
it really was not that a light load was needed but more capacity that i was looking for. i went to special cases and this was the next step, i am glad BESTBOSS did it and not me ;).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts