Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

For those of you who read my previous post on the .44 monster mag, and have been awaiting more news, here's a brief update. As you may recall, we took an 1894, stretched the action capacity to be able to run a COL of 1.75" (I think I may have mis-typed that length as 1.71" last entry?) and began experimenting with 300gr XTP bullets seated to the first cannelure. This was a first step in building a short (16.5" bbl) ultra light guide gun capable of taking all NA game, as an alternative to the heavier big bore platforms like the 444 and 1895. Currently our test mule weighs a mere 5lbs, and as of the last writing we had pushed 300 XTP's to 1700fps and 300gr cast boolits to 1800fps. In my last entry I promised to do more testing with different powders, and to clock some Buffalo Bore 305gr loads for comparison.

Last weekend I made another trip to our top secret test facility called "The Farm" (it's so secret the cows have trouble coming home to it) to see if there was anything left for the .44 rem mag case left to give. In a nutshell, there is not. Regardless of powder burn rate, the case capacity is at its limit (we're talking heavily compressed loads) when 300gr velocities hit 1700fps. Realistically, for long term safety, the practical limit is 1650fps with jacketed bullets. This is not bad at all when you consider that an equally short 444 barrel can only deliver another 150fps with the same bullet, and nearly twice the case capacity!

Also, for those of you wondering, we did remember to bring along the B-Bore 305gr loads, and were not at all surprised to find that through our chrony they clocked an average of 1590fps. While this is pretty respectable for a slightly over-long .44 cartridge, it is nowhere near the 1779fps the company claims for this load from a carbine. Given my recent exeriments with really long .44 loads, it would seem unrealistic to expect nearly 1800fps out of the BB rounds. Has anyone else on this forum clocked faster speeds with the BB stuff? Just curious.

All that aside, the long and short of it is now we are determined to build a wildcat that can really take advantage of the carbine length barrel. The goal, as stated previously, is to achieve loadings for the 1894 that can safely (and I mean all day safe) push 300gr jacketed pills past 1800fps, with hopefully some capacity left over to launch heavier boolits to similar, or even greater velocities. In essence, a baby T4.

I have parent brass on the way, which I believe to be the largest case that will fit through the 1894 without drastic alteration to the action. In our abundant spare time, we will continue to work the problem. In the mean time, I've come up with two possible names for this wildcat. Maybe you folks can help pick?

Name # 1: .44 RPSA (Ranger Point short action--RiPSAw for short)
Name # 2: .44 RPG (Ranger Point Guide)

Weigh in with your opinions, please. You can even tell us we're pissing in the wind, if that's what ya think.

Best,
AD

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,633 Posts
'Ranger Point' only. No 'Guide' even though that is your original intent. For the name to fit on the cartridge head it would be reduced to the acronym 'RPG' - a Commie gun. 'RANGER POINT .44' may well fit. It will be most certainly be used in longer barreled guns to even better ballistic advantage in addition to Guide Guns. Just my $.02 . I look forward eagerly for for rendition. AC

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
:congrats:That's some very impressive work AD. Looks like I'll be having to pick up an 1894 to go with my ruger.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool!,
But no pics? For shame!
Our test mule is still in pretty raw, unfinished condition (kinda ugly at the moment) so I will refrain from posting pics until it's closer to its final state. Sorry guys.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Might you meet the goal by using a somewhat shortened 444 case to the desired speed and bullet weight while still keeping it the light frame Marlin? Great project. Just what I need to justify another Marlin lever.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about the "44mm" for 44 Monster Mag?
Our luck the ATF would construe 44mm to mean 44 millimeter and classify it a destructive device:ahhhhh:

Reactions: dpe.ahoy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might you meet the goal by using a somewhat shortened 444 case to the desired speed and bullet weight while still keeping it the light frame Marlin? Great project. Just what I need to justify another Marlin lever.
Good idea, but it wouldn't get us anywhere. We are limited not by the length of the .44 case, but by the diameter. Need bigger badonkadonk.

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:congrats:That's some very impressive work AD. Looks like I'll be having to pick up an 1894 to go with my ruger.
Don't congratulate me just yet. This project is just getting interesting (read, tricky and expensive). The upside though, is that as it sits our mule represents a pretty decent upgrade in power for the .44, so even if folks don't want to go full zoot on a wildcat, it's a fairly inexpensive deal to get more poop from your .44 handloads (or .357 for that matter).

Reactions: XMAN

·
Registered
919 Posts
Did you ever try reloader 7 loads I have some loaded for shooting over crony when weather permits. Widow

1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you ever try reloader 7 loads I have some loaded for shooting over crony when weather permits. Widow
Haven't tried RL 7, but thanks for reminding me. Need to pick some up. Not saying it won't work, but i wonder what the magic is. Slowest powder I've tried is A-1680, which is pretty dense, but i couldn't fit nearly enough in the case to get back up past 1400fps, let alone 1700. My manuals list RL-7 as being even slower. But heck, I'll try anything once. Just add it to the other 40 powders I have piled up. Thanks again Widder and if you get to it before I do, let me know how it goes.

AD

·
Banned
20,659 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool project!:tee: Lookin' forward to the finished product!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Really cool thread!!!
FYI I went to the range today with my 1894 (44 mag). There was another fella there shooting who just happened to have a chronograph set up. I asked him if he would fire a few rounds out of my rifle through it for sh**ts and giggles. I had Hornady 240 gr XTPs and Buffalo Bore 240 gr deer grenades.
The Hornady's got 1759 FPS
THE Buffalo Bores got 1937 FPS
Quite a difference in velocity. Following this thread with great intrest.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The suggestion for Reloader 7 was by 'Widow'....... not me (Widder) :)

All of my Marlin work has been centered around the angle/slant feed modifications of the 1894 for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I do have a modified 1894 with a 16.25" barrel that I shoot .45 Colt loads out of. I can get chronographed 300 gr XTP Mag and 300 Speer Gold Dots in the 1355 and 1376 fps range using AA9 and LilGun powders respectfully.

My highest 5 shot AVERAGE velocity HOT stuff is the 240 gr XTP Mag at 1925 fps with LilGun......AND..... 250 gr. XTP at 1868 with Lilgun. And these were 5 shot average velocities.

No doubt the 1700-1800+ range you're working at with a 300 grainer is impressive. Keep it up..... I like it!

..........Widder

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Really cool thread!!!
FYI I went to the range today with my 1894 (44 mag). There was another fella there shooting who just happened to have a chronograph set up. I asked him if he would fire a few rounds out of my rifle through it for sh**ts and giggles. I had Hornady 240 gr XTPs and Buffalo Bore 240 gr deer grenades.
The Hornady's got 1759 FPS
THE Buffalo Bores got 1937 FPS
Quite a difference in velocity. Following this thread with great intrest.

Where your 240 gr XTP loads factory or reloads. If reloads, what powder were you using?

C,D.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts