Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I only shoot home rolled in my 44mgs. The last 3 years I have mounted a lot of scopes on 44mgs. Mostly Marlins & Rugers. Guys have
been buying Win White box 240jhp. Reason, cheapest Wally World has. I will have to say it is good stuff. Very good results out of
all guns I sighted in with it. One family are Ruger 77/44 nuts and running Leuopld 2x7s on them. These rifles outshot all the other
44mags I have sighted in. I don't think you can get much more out of 44 mag factory ammo.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
My 2006 DOM shot WWB and Hornady good. I got rid of all of the Hornady brass as it is shorter and I did not want to mix it up with my full length brass.
Reloading the Hornady 240 grain XTP over a good dose of IMR4227.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great information, going to try some factory ammo and go from there. Just Acquired some loading equipment from a good friend and going to start loading. 44 magnum, 45/70. Take all the help I can get. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Roll my own 240 gr XTP. Awesome deer killer. Hornady FTX punches paper good too. Had good success with Double Tap also.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I shot Hornady 240JHPs since 60s, only switched to XTPs in last few years. I don't find any difference in them, for accuracy or expansion. XTPs do hold together better in deer. I originally picked Hornady because of expansion. The Sierra & Speer of the day
were much harder bullets. Took a lot more for them to expand. Load was on hot side, 22.5gr of 2400/ 240gr JHP but that's what
the old Ruger SBH liked. Shot same load in my 44 carbines.

Reactions: Da Duke

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have had slightly better accuracy with the Hornady 265 gr interlocks (Item # 4300) with H110 loaded to the max for my CB model 44 mag. The Hornady 240 grain XTP's are great also but my gun just likes the 265's a touch better. I have never used either for deer hunting but I keep hoping screwed up Illinois joins the rest of the country in at least allowing straight-wall cartridges. But since we are the worst state in every category (except maybe for hyper-stupid gun law states like NY and CA) I think I will just have to move (or at a minimum find a spot in Wisconsin) in order to use them. But hey at least we are Big #1 in the country when it comes to people leaving the State.
John

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
:hmmmm2: "Factory ammo." They make factory ammo?? Well that's interesting!

No offense meant here, but in the 40 +/- years that I've owned and used .44 mags I really doubt that there has been 5 or maybe a stretch of 10 boxes of factory fodder go down those barrels.

I applaud the news that You - Michael - have some hand loading equipment on hand. Get that friend to show you how to use the equipment and don't look back!

DON'T, I repeat DON'T buy factory fodder to get a supply of brass. Just DON'T! Big waste of money better spent on components. Just go to Starline and order up 500+/- new cases and go for it.

Bullets ------------- There are cast bullets available for the non-caster that will give excellent to AWESOME results - yes, even on game - and compared to factory ammo and jacketed bullets won't cost you an arm and a leg.

But, be prepared, this could be the start of an addiction!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
Buying a box or two of factory ammo is fine just to get out and shoot the gun but if you have loading equipment I would start stocking up on components now. Changes in political winds always make stuff harder to get when you need it and some things have been near impossible to find in the years past. My advice is buy it cheap and stack it deep!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Kingstrider is ever so correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His comments are even more correct with the "designer" cartridges such as those ones with a gun manufacture's name on the head stamp. Ruger, Marlin etc. Just like the "Short Magnum" craze brass for which was hard and in some cases impossible to find during the obamanation. Same thing in the clinton error.

So, there is no such thing as too many components in your stash. Used them or if worse come to worse, trade them like gold or silver. Money in the bank during hard times!

I love it, "buy cheap and stack it deep!"

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I almost never shoot factory ammo in any of my firearms. Just goes against my nature or something. AS we're discussing the .44 mag. it was back in around 1975. Nevada had just legalized handguns for big game. I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag. the year before so decided I'd try and take a deer with it. Ammo was a 240 gr. load by Remington and it had a scalloped jacket and hollow point. I was confident I could take a deer to about 75 yards and maybe a bit farther out. Come opening day I was on a stand where I knew deer would pass by on the way to a spring. It was in an either sex area and I was hunting for meat. Sure enough a nice fat doe comes walking by so I shot for the shoulder. The bullet hit where I aimed and on autopsy I found the jacket embedded in the shoulder blade and the lead core exited behind the off shoulder. Deer dropped after a short run, maybe 25 yards.

The following year I decided to try the Elmer Keith load (Lyman #¢29241 cast bullet and 22.0 gr. #2400). Same stand and when another doe came by took as close as possible the same shot as on the previous deer. At the shot the deer dropped DRT and on autopsy showed the bullet had punched through the shoulder blade and through the off shoulder blade as well. Granted two deer doesn't make for much of a statistic but I never shot another round of factory ammo in that gun once the limited supply I had on had was shot up. The bullet was cast from clean wheel weight metal with a bit if tin added to aid casting. BHN level was about 11 or 12 on the scale. I didn't have a tester back then but that's what common clean wheel weight metal is testing out these days.

Frankly, I see no need for a jacketed bullet in my handguns, thus shoot only my home cast bullets for sport and pleasure. These days I load 20.0 gr. of #2400 with the Keith bullet. It hits hard enough and is a bit easier on the revolver. I had an S&W 629 that would shoot loose in 200 to 250 rounds of Elmer's old load. Made the change after having to send the gun back to S&W twice.
Paul B.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Good post Paul, and the Wide Flat Nose cast is, if anything equal to or better then the semi-wad cutter Keith design. The larger meplat just makes a touch larger hole then the Semi-wad cutter. However, as you point out the .44 is effective given of course proper shot placement and reasonable range.

I was sure impressed with the results of my two deer taken last Fall with the little RUGER rifle. Speaking of which, I'm off to build some test loads with the lighter 240gr WFN.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.