Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? "44"mag. ???

I came close to buying a 336 in 44mag this weekend at the Tulsa gun show, but I have read just enough negative talk about the "44" having feeding and accuracy problems that I held off until I can get some feedback from this forum.

Charlie

G

·
??? "44"mag. ???

Charlie

Can't vouch for the 336, but the 1894 44 mag is very accurate and reliable with all the factory ammo we've tried in it.

It does need some help to feed the cast 320gr loads I am shooting now, but once it's tuned it will be perfectly reliable. I am not a fan of pistol cartridges in rifle length actions, but wonder if the 336 would feed longer handloads better than the 1894........

BTW, my B92 in 44 mag is a great rifle that feeds the handloads flawlessly, as fast as you can cycle the lever. It's awesome.

Regards,

Grizz

PS: I have never found a 44 that didn't shoot well, and most of them shoot great, better than the average shooter gives them credit for.

·
Registered
394 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

I believe there were 2 variations of the 336 chambered in 44 Magnum. One is the 336T "Texan", and the other is the 336 Magnum Carbine made from 1963 to 1967. The internal components of the 336 are designed around longer cartridges. The fact that these components required some changes for the shorter round may account for feeding problems.

G

·
??? "44"mag. ???

Roundsworth said:
I believe there were 2 variations of the 336 chambered in 44 Magnum. One is the 336T "Texan", and the other is the 336 Magnum Carbine made from 1963 to 1967. The internal components of the 336 are designed around longer cartridges. The fact that these components required some changes for the shorter round may account for feeding problems.
Quite correct I have had my hands on a couple 336's in 44 mag. Last I saw was $300 in about 85-90%. And some kind soul nad put swivels on :? Even with the addition I didn't think that was to bad :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

The 336 in 44mag. was out befour they made the 1894 in 44mag. If I rember it didn't work all that well.
If I wanted a 44mag. it shoot and hunt with the 1894 in any model would be the way to go. I have had six in 44mag. over the years and all shot good. One with microgrove shot better with cast bullets then it did with jacketed bullets. You never know.
>>Tombstone

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

never had one and I wouldn''t buy one for a shooter but as a collectable I think I wouldn't mind having one. I don't personally know if they're valuable, but again ,I wouldnt mind having one. Shootrj2003

·
Registered
479 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

I guess recently having had one SRC 336 in 44Mag (just sold it for $450) and another one in the closet in brand new condition make me the semi-afficionado.
I hunted for two years with the SRC using my own handloads.
I have never shot the 44 Special, only the mag, and I have NEVER had a feeding or ejection problem of any kind with it.
I was smooth as butter to operate, and with my little 1.5-4X scope on it, I was pulling roughly 1.25" groups at 100 yards in all weather. I am willing to bet it could do better with more thorough load development, a benchrest, and steadier hands than mine.
It handled and shouldered beautifully and had negligable recoil, even with my super duper magnum loads. It takes a handgun cartridge to the next level, and I would not have hesitated taking 150 yard shots on deer and black bear with it.
I already miss it, but I still have the nicer of the two.
If you get a shot at one (No pun intended), jump on it. Only 3000 were ever produced in this configuration making it nearly as rare as the venerable 336ER in 356Win. of which 2441 were produced.
Now I have to figure out which levergun goes out this year.
Ranger

·
Registered
594 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

RifleRanger,
You mentioned having to decide which gun "gets the nod". Which ones are at the top of the list?
I'm taking both my M375 and my newly acquired 336A 35REM(1950). The 24" barrel on the old flat top sure shoots nice.

G

·
??? "44"mag. ???

One of the neatest looking Marlin 44 mag's I've ever seen is the 1894 Sporter that was only made in 1973 . It looks like a scaled down 1895 in 45-70 from the same time period . And from what I understand they only made 1,398 of this model :!:

·
Registered
479 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

Duckbill, I have a dilemma:
I would love to take out my other 336 in 44Mag (Like new), or my 375 (Brand new in box), or my other 336D in 35Rem (Like new). None of these are going in the woods, ever !) I recently sold my two big bores, an 1895M and an 1895GS, and I wouldn't hunt big game with my 336 in 219Zipper or my 1894CL in 218Bee.
That really only leaves a minty 336SC in 35Rem, a minty 336SC in 32 Special, a hunted Winnie 88 in .284 (great cartridge, priceless firearm), and a minty Savage 99 in 250 Savage.
I always take my trusty Belgian Browning BAR in '06 as my backup, but I am stuck as to what levergun, be it Marlin or otherwise to bring with me.
Anybody care to chime in or cast a vote ?
Ranger

G

·
??? "44"mag. ???

Rifleranger said:
Duckbill, I have a dilemma:
I would love to take out my other 336 in 44Mag (Like new), or my 375 (Brand new in box), or my other 336D in 35Rem (Like new). None of these are going in the woods, ever !) I recently sold my two big bores, an 1895M and an 1895GS, and I wouldn't hunt big game with my 336 in 219Zipper or my 1894CL in 218Bee.
That really only leaves a minty 336SC in 35Rem, a minty 336SC in 32 Special, a hunted Winnie 88 in .284 (great cartridge, priceless firearm), and a minty Savage 99 in 250 Savage.
I always take my trusty Belgian Browning BAR in '06 as my backup, but I am stuck as to what levergun, be it Marlin or otherwise to bring with me.
Anybody care to chime in or cast a vote ?
Ranger
RR, lend me the Zipper :!: I have no qualms about wacking a deer with it, of course I will have to single load. Cause I'm gonna use the 60gr Nosler Partition :D

·
Registered
479 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

6pt, my take is that the 219Z (and I do have Sierra 63GrPSP loads done) is a varminter.
Now I am sure that it is more than capable in downing a deer, as I am sure it could take larger game, but wouldn't that be asking for a relatively small blood trail and longer searches ? Or do you believe that the zipper is potent enough to take a deer down quickly ? The ballistics don't seem to jive.
I am inclined to use any one of the ones I mentioned, but I would scream if I even scratched them.
I know, I know, rifles are tools, but to me they are more than that, they are investments so I try to keep them in as good condition as I got them.
Ranger

G

·
??? "44"mag. ???

Rifleranger said:
6pt, my take is that the 219Z (and I do have Sierra 63GrPSP loads done) is a varminter.
Now I am sure that it is more than capable in downing a deer, as I am sure it could take larger game, but wouldn't that be asking for a relatively small blood trail and longer searches ? Or do you believe that the zipper is potent enough to take a deer down quickly ? The ballistics don't seem to jive.
I am inclined to use any one of the ones I mentioned, but I would scream if I even scratched them.
I know, I know, rifles are tools, but to me they are more than that, they are investments so I try to keep them in as good condition as I got them.
Ranger
At the moment ,I have nightmares about wanting a nice 1893 in 32-40 :!: But not just to cast , load and shoot . But to hunt with also :D I know to some people this may sound crazy and I use to see it that way also , but lately I have found using the old "classics" quite intresting :D But I do understand what you are saying :!: Still like to whack one with your ZIPPER :D

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

I have never had any feed problems with my 336-44mag,I'v not tried 44spl.in it, the barrel is NOT so stamped.
I beleive Marlin produced the 336 in 44 to take advantage of the "THEN" growing popularity of the 44mag cartridge while tooling up to reintroduce their 1894 in modern revolver calibers.They discontinued the 336-44 around the same time they came out with the 1894(1968-69??)not because of feed or accuracy problems but to promote their new brainchild that everyone was snapping up to mate-up with the Ruger Blackhawk 44 and 357 magnums.

·
Registered
193 Posts
??? "44"mag. ???

I didn't know the 336 ever came in .44mag, but my 1894 is a hell of a rifle. It is one-hole accurate at 100yds with Speer 270's, and it smacks deer and hogs down like lightning. I've even loaded 250gr Keith bullets over Unique in .44special and popped a few rabbits with it.

Like I said, I don't know about the 336 model .44, but you shouldn't have any hesitation in buying the 1894.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts