Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just loaded up some hot 180 jhp for my rifle to try on the local 'yote population. I think that at 2000 fps they should be nice and explosive. I can't wait to try them out. Of course these are only good for small game as they will expand too quickly for any kind of penetration.

G

·
Sounds good to me :D I bought some 180gr XTP's to shoot in the ML and ended up shooting them in my 44's. Only shot them on paper thou :!: Seems to me they were a handful in my 629 ,but comfortable in my 1894P :D

G

·
If the coyotes are dumb enough to come within 200 yards your load should work great. Here in Wyoming if they see you coming they head for the next county!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got to the range yesterday and it was a very windy day. Mixed blessing, I had the range to myself but of course it doesn't give the best idea of where your rounds will hit. Well anyway the 180gr xt/jhp shot quite well through the 1894. I got a 1.5" 4 shot group at 50yards (with the flag standing straight out). I was pretty happy with that. I also tried them in my redhawk and the muzzle flash about burnt the hair off my knuckles!

Around here you can get pretty close to the yotes as there is such heavy cover, I walked up on one at about 15 yards a couple weeks ago (a bit of a surprise to both of us, I had just enough time to miss it with the shotgun) Last week I shot one at about 25 yards as I was deer hunting, it was headed somewhere with the back half of a nutria in its mouth. Once deer season is over I think I will try calling some in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts