Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried 240 grn hard cast bullets with 10 grains of Unique and one bullet out of 5 tumbles. Happens every time. It is a Bear Creek moly black bullet. What's happening?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your bullets are probably undersize. With Micro-groove barrels best results are with bullets .001 larger than bore size. If you have a .429" bore you need bullets sized .430".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use .431 for most of my lead bullets. I size them using the BCBS sizer and measure to find .431. My Lee mold cast them at .431. I have had good luck with this size bullet in Rifle and Revolver.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Spang said:
I use .431 for most of my lead bullets. I size them using the BCBS sizer and measure to find .431. My Lee mold cast them at .431. I have had good luck with this size bullet in Rifle and Revolver.
Well if you read my post about Marlin barrels that might be oversized now in 44 Remington Mag , we can not assume the bore size.You might well have a 431 barrel there for require a 432 bullet to make it right. :x

We spend so much on ammo and reloads , where we should from the start to first slug out the barrel . I can not accept a new rifle that might be a few thousand over bore .
When you buy a new gun It was hoped that there was not that great a tolerance in bore size's.
Read up on the topic on the bear tooth's shooters forum.
You bet I am ticked

G

·
Bore Size

SAAMI specifically states that the groove dimension for 44 Rem. Magnum "RIFLE" barrels is .431. This is not new and has been in place for many years. SAAMI does not recommend dimensional tolerances on bore size. I have spoken to Marlin folks and they advise that they work within +/- .001. Sounds reasonable to me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Bore Size

Guest said:
SAAMI specifically states that the groove dimension for 44 Rem. Magnum "RIFLE" barrels is .431. This is not new and has been in place for many years. SAAMI does not recommend dimensional tolerances on bore size. I have spoken to Marlin folks and they advise that they work within +/- .001. Sounds reasonable to me.
Work with in what ? =or _ of what bore size the 429 or the 431.

So this lad that has the 24 inch CB in 44 Mag that was bought in 2001 and the bore slugs out to 431/432 needs to have a lead bullet in around 433 /434 to shoot since Marlin is now working with in the new Sammi spec which changed a few years ago.
Now show me were you can get a lead bullet and dies to load for this . Now we want bullets sized to 429- 434 and the norm being 426 for the 44/40 through to 430 for the 44 Mag . Now when you want to take that 44 Mag hunting and your loading a 429 bullet in it --- well guess the gun now will be for sale.

Now with regards to the guide that is 459 bored . Lead bullets are coming that are 460 and I hope to see some groups. The dies probably will need to be polished out to not resize the bullet back down. A phone call to Lee now to machine the die to fit.
Now we need to get some one to swag a jacketed bullet for it.
"Hell" why not just sell the darn thing !!

Not so happy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've got a Speer 300 grn that measures top to bottom .428-429 that groups like crap. Hornady 240 XTP's .429-.430 that shoot into a fist size hole, and the lead Bear Creek bullets mentioned above are also .429-.430. Does the bore/slug formula apply to copper jackets also? Or do the lead need more tightness.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bear Hunt -

When we did likewise (10gr unique 1894s 240 swcl's), we saw likewise - though we politely called them 12" groups (though 9 grs shot well). Our conclusion was that given the quickness of Unique and the charge size, all we were doing was crushing the bullet/destroying the internal structure.... but by moving to a slower powder we were able to get good velocity and reasonable groupsizes. If you're looking for 1350-1400fps from a 1894, have you looked at 23gr of aa1680 (1350fps), or if we want to go faster, heavy loads of 296 (23-24gr range and 1750fps)? [this data is on our website - url below.]

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

ps. we saw the same results with .430, .431 and .432" sized bullets, ie, we took such as not being a sizing problem - though that was our first thought.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I also feel like you have to high a velocity expectation with that load combination. You have to change something. I had the same problem with Unique and plain based bullets reaching the 1300 to 1400 fps area. Expecting too much from a plain base bullet. I am not familiar with the bullet of which you speak, but when I started making my own with gas checks, all tumbling went away. I can get away with a full 18gr. of Lil Gun and attain 2000fps in a 158gr. semi-wadcutter. (357) Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I was trying 10 gr is I was looking for a low velocity, economical load and that combo was recommended on the old board. Maybe if I go down to 8 grains I might have it. The AA1680 might work, but it's not that "economical", but it might be worthwhile if it's accurate. I'll give that some thought. Good info. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts