Marlin Firearms Forum banner

.44 Mag Grip Question

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Hobie 
#1 ·
I just picked up a nice Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag with Hogue grips. I also picked up a box of Winchester 240 gr ammo to shoot. The .44 doesn't seem to kick up too bad with the 240 gr. using a two handed grip but I can feel the backbone of the steel grip handle tearing at the web of my hand between the thumb and first finger. I have no problem with stepping up in loads but am wondering if there are some grips out there to fit the .44 that wrap all the way around the steel grip? I have been looking on the net for a couple of days.

Oh yeah, it is a hoot to shoot and should be good for a sidearm when hog hunting.

Thanks,

Dave 8)

#2 ·
I had one of the first Red Hawks in 44 mag back in 1982. It had the stock grips that were a little smaller than I would have expected, but they worked well. As you probably know, the Redhawk is designed differently than single actions, and the kick shows it. It was set up so that it wouldn't kick "up" as much, but pushes back against the hand more. This one had the exposed frame as well, but it didn't seem to bother me much with the smaller grip.

Comparing it to my Super Blackhawk of the same caliber that I've had since 1978 ($207.00, my how things have changed), I didn't even take it out of the shop without Pachmar grips on it - and I've never been sorry. Pachmars do cover the tang of the frame, but seem to add something that actually seems to dig into my hand more because of it. The design of the single action causes it to rock back, meaning it kick up more and kicks straight back less. A good example is that my new BFR in 450 Marlin (a single action supreme that cost quite a bit more than $207.00) came with the same style of rubber grips as the Pachmars I put on the Super Blackhawk. The main difference being that the back is wider and covers the whole back of the grip evenly instead of seeming to rise up to cover the frame like the one on my Super Blackhawk does. The kick with full power loads is brutal with the 450 Marlin, but it doesn't seem to make a point of digging into my hand.

The Hogue grips were all the buzz back then, but I never saw the need for them on the Redhawk. The argument was that people with larger hands could have better control with the bigger grips. It's all a matter of personal fit, but you might see if you can try out the original smaller grips and see how they feel to you. Mine was intense, as any 44 mag should be, but not unpleasant to shoot.

#3 ·
Thanks Bud. My hands are on the smallish side. What you say makes really good sense to me as the .44 with the Hogue grips is definitely a handful for me even without firing it.

Dave 8)

#4 ·
VTDW,

I had the same problem when shooting my S&W Mountain Gun. I ordered custom Jordan Trooper grips from Herret. They take the pain out of shooting heavier loads.

The Trooper grips seem large but work well. Herret made the grips from a tracing of my hand.

I've had a 6" S&W 629 for more than 20 years. Shortly after I bought it I put a Pachmyr Gripper grip on it. It wraps around the entire grip frame and works very well. I would have put this type of grip on my Mountain Gun but Pachmyr does not make the grip for that model. I'm not sure if they make one for the Redhawk, but it would be worth a look.

I tried a Pachmyr grip that left the rear grip strap exposed; I don't recommend it, as the grip did not stay in place. That type of grip was supposed to work better with smaller hands, it looked better too.

#6 ·
BB,

Can you tell me which particular grips. The site I found has about 3 different ones for the Redhawk. The Herrit's site is awsome!

I shot the .44 today after removing the scope and installing sights. The thing really tears at my hand with the Winchester factory 240 gr. loads from a standing position and a two handed grip. From the bench I think I would end up with a bone bruise if I shot it many times. That is with the exposed rear grip frame that the Hogue doesn't cover.

Thanks to all. I really do appreciate the input.

Dave 8)

#7 ·
Hi, I was not happy with the amount of sting I was getting from the grip frame of my S&W 629 - even with Pachmayr grips. I recently ordered a set of the Classic grips from Eagle grips in plain rosewood and have been extremely pleased with them. I'm not a large guy and have average to small hands for a man. Even so, the grips fit me well and definitely are a LOT more comfortable than the stock Hogue or Pachmayr rubber grips. I can whole heartedly recommend the Eagle grips. The difference in feel of the gun in hand is phenomenal. If I had another revolver, I'd buy another set of grips from them. My experience, FWIW.

#8 ·
redhawk grips

The Pachmayer Decelerator grips are the ones to get. Try to find a pair
to wrap your hand around as they aren't what I would call small, so check them out if you can before ordering.

G
#9 ·
Something else that may be relevent here is to grip the revolver as high as you can to bring your hand closer to the bore axis. This makes the recoil come closer to straight back rather than up and back with less muzzle rise. Depending on the size of a person's hands, the finger groove grips can cause the shooter to grip too low. Grips without grooves allow a "custom" finger arrangement on the grip.

#10 ·
One of the fellas that that works for me brought me the stock grips off of his Redhawk to try out. I put them on tonight and they feel great to my smaller hands. The gun now feels like I have control of it. I should be shooting the .44 on Saturday a.m. and will report back.

Thanks loads for the feedback,

Dave 8)

#13 ·
I got a chance to shoot the .44 Mag today. I sure do love those factory grips with my smaller hands. I was able to easily manage the gun. Only problem was that no matter how much I tightened the grips, they slipped a little bit on the first shot. I was afrait to tighten too much as they were borrowed.

I really do appreciate the suggestions and will now most likely get some of those nice Rosewood grips that gldprimr suggested.

Yooper, your suggestion on the gripping of the .44 sure did help out!
Thanks again,

Dave

#14 ·
Late add-on here....

I had the same problem with my Redhawk x 5.5".......factory grips a little too small, but most aftermarket offerings just too big. I have good-sized hands, so this was a first for me. Hogue neoprenes did the trick.

Hold that wheelgun with your hand as high on that recoil hump as you can (comfortably). Getting the hand as close to the line of bore works wonders at controlling "muzzle whip".

I'm not especially recoil sensitive, but a S&W 29-series with 4" barrel can BITE. They have a "straight-back" recoil impulse that is lacking in the longer-barrelled variants for some reason. Same story with the 4" Model 57/58 in 41. I think the late Elmer Keith had a point when he said "1200 FPS is all you need" when speaking of the 240-250 grain bullets in the 44 Magnum. My loads now top out at this speed using the Lyman #429244 (SWC/GC), and these can be fired all day long in the Redhawk--and much of the morning in a 4" M-29. That old Idaho cowboy knew a few things, for sure.

#15 ·
I bought my latest Redhawk used, and it came with a set of Pachmayr "Presentation" grips on it. I also have small hands (but long fingers.....think E.T.) but these fit me fine. My other Redhawks wore the wooden factory grips, and even with full-power 41 and 357 loads, I never really noticed the recoil. It didn't hurt, it just pushed. But the older I get, the more I notice the recoil. And yes, Elmer was right. I don't need 1500 fps loads, 1100-1200 does everything I use a handgun for!

PJ

#16 ·
I just got a pair of Hogue wood monogrips from www.hogueauction.com. These are overruns and seconds (but show me where the blemish is). $60 LESS than MSRP. Put them on my M629 4". BEST grip that has ever been on it including ALL the rubber stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.