Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently installed a Skinner Express sight on my 1965 rifle and a dovetail blank. I researched quite a bit and decided Skinner was the way to go.
Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Bumper Trigger Gun accessory

Brown Wood Beige Automotive exterior Luggage and bags

I'm excited to get out and give it a try, knowing full well that the front bead sight may need to go. Because I may use this gun for hig hunting at times, I'm interested in a front sight that would be good for fast acquisition in low light. Any suggestions?
Also, I field stripped this rifle for the first time (it's new to me) and I found that the ejector spring looked way different than other ones I've seen
Wood Tool Hand tool Feather Blade

Any thoughts? I guess as long as it works

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is an old style ejector and the new style short ones will work for a replacement if needed. My .357 Mag has one like that. Just make sure you get the front end behind the barrel when putting it back together.
Have a great day.
Jim
Ah okay thanks for the info. I suppose there's a good chance then that this ejector is original to the rifle.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Yes that's an old style ejector. My 81 version 1894 in 357 mag has one just like it. And also my similar vintage model 39. They are no longer being made like that. There are at least 2 other later versions which may or may not fit your receiver.

One of the versions has a round nub that will fit into a hole through the receiver wall at the back of the ejector groove (left hand side). If necessary, your receiver can be modified to take this version.

Another version has a round plug which fits into a round cut out at the back of the ejector groove. You will need to study your receiver carefully to see which of these, if any, will fit your receiver as it is.

Since your ejector is no longer being made, Murphy says it will break at the most inopportune time. I've purchased several replacement ejector springs to have on hand for just such an occasion. I suggest you do the same.

1894 Ejector Spring

Old Style 44 Mag Ejector

Where to find unusual ejector

Good luck. If you can't find one right away, keep looking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y’all realize the OP has a 336 and not an 1894, correct? I think the ejector the OP is asking about is unique to the 336 in 44 mag. I don’t believe an ejector from an 1894 would work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for clarifying Suredan! Yes, this is a 336 in 44 mag. I'm happy with the Skinner sights, and I think they look really good. I was considering the brass frontsight from skinner or their Bear Buster, but I'm hoping some folks will have some suggestions they have already tried out.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I like the factory beads for quick shots but prefer a blade for target shooting. I have a hard time finding targets that work well with bead sights but if a bullseye shows up slightly larger than the bead I can shoot them quite well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have to change out the front sights after putting on a Skinner peep sight?
I want to put a Skinner on my old Marlin 1894 44 mag.
Hi Jog, I'm actually not sure yet. I hope to get it out this week and see where it's shooting. Ive heard some folks say they had to switch it out and some who were able to leave it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In a perfect world the front sight can remain the same however, when switching from a barrel mounted sight to a receiver mounted there is no way to know exactly how much droop, rise, your particular barrel/ receiver has ( its usually in the .001s) but can necessitate going higher or lower with the front sight. The issue does not exsist with barrel mounted sights obviously.
Only way to know is try it out, if you have run out of adjustment on your rear peep you'll need a taller/ shorter front sight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts