Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: what bullet recommendations do you guys have for a 1894 44 thats going on a deer hunt that may turn into a bear hunt as well? the deer are large bodied northern whitetail and the terrain is woodland-swamp. also ....all the ballistics charts are showing handgun length velocities and energies,how much is the gain in fps per inch of barrel? about how high at 50yds. will you be to be on at 100yds. when sighting in ? any information and opinion most welcome.......thanks in advance.....bearit.....

G

·
I'm shooting Winchester 240 jsp (jacketed soft point) ammo, most accurately. Sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards - don't remember where at 50. Also shoot Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo - does not group as well, but would penetrate better, on bear.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
The Federal Hard Cast 300s are the (IMO) hardest thumping reasonably priced factory stuff out there. Never shot it out of a rifle, but in a SBH, it was quite impressive.....much more penetration than factory JHPs or JSPs.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I think Winchester is still loading the Nosler 250 gr bullet too. Those or the Federal HardCast would be among my first choices assuming you aren't reloading. I haven't tried any others, but I'm sure just about any name brand premium loading will do well for you if it's accurate in your gun.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ditto what Jayhawker says...

If you're using factory ammo, the 250gr Nosler Partition or the 300gr Hardcast Federal would be my choice. But make sure you try them in your rifle for grouping, etc.

For example... using a 100 yard zero with the 250gr Nosler Partition at 1750fps you can expect approx the following trajectory in your rifle...

25yds = +0.1"
50yds = +1.0"
75yds = +1.0"
100yd = + 0"
125yd = -2.0"
150yd = -5.2"
175yd = -9.7"
200yd = -15.6"

So your answer is... Sight it 1" high at 50 yards for a 100 yard zero with a 240/250gr flat point bullet. It's easily a 150 yard gun if you do your part.

·
Registered
317 Posts
bearit said:
:?: what bullet recommendations do you guys have for a 1894 44 thats going on a deer hunt that may turn into a bear hunt as well? the deer are large bodied northern whitetail and the terrain is woodland-swamp. also ....all the ballistics charts are showing handgun length velocities and energies,how much is the gain in fps per inch of barrel? about how high at 50yds. will you be to be on at 100yds. when sighting in ? any information and opinion most welcome.......thanks in advance.....bearit.....
bearit,
You might want to try some of the Hornady 265gr FP's designed for the 444Marlin. Should be able to ez get 1700fps with a good handload.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to all who have replied.....I've had in mind the winchester loading of the nosler 250gr. partition for a while...from what i have gathered over the last few years from the manufacturer and most importantly the guys in the field is that the noslers can stand up to a close range[just outside the tent] hit on 300lb.+ game and can still give at least some expansion with great penetration at distances at common eastern hunting ranges[50-150 yards]. I'm just hoping they will shoot from this 1982 vintage model 1984 44 mag......i can't wait to see what leupold will charge for the new ultralight 2.5X20mm.... maybe it will be just the ticket with the warne QR low mount rings and bases....this gun cycles well but if it can't shoot 2" groups at 50yds. i'll put it up for sale here and let you guys handload it to it's potential......many thanks...regards.....bearit......

G

·
Without a doubt the 250 grain Nosler is "THE" best bullet you can use in the 44 mag ( in my opinion ). I've used this bullet in the 44 , 444 and my 50 cal ML with good results in all three :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Over at the Buffalo Bore website they recommend having the 94 rebarrelled to a 1/20 twist rate for any bullet over 270, saying that any heavier bullet loses accuracy big time because of the 94's present 1/38 twist rate.

What do you guys think? Are the guys at Buffalo Bore spot on, or do you disagree with them (and if so, why)? Why did Marlin put a 1/38 twist rate in the 94 in the first place? I notice much faster twists in all of their other offerings.

Have any of you had your 94 barrels redone, and if so, how much did it cost? Did it improve accuracy with the heavy loads?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
24th Mich
The 1 in 38" twist rate is ideal for the 240 grain bullet (actually the math is dependant on the overall length of the bullet, caliber, and velocity), but most rifles with this twist rate will shoot 270 gr bullets without a problem. For example, a .429 bullet at 2200 fps with a length of .770 would have an optimum twist rate of 1 in 35". That same bullet at only 1300 fps would have an optimum rate of 1 in 28". Except for Elmer Keith and a few others, not many people were shooting heavy bullets from a 44 caliber until recently. When Marlin introduced the 444 in 1964, I don't think they envisioned anything larger than a 240 gr bullet at 2400 fps being used so the twist rate seemed appropriate. With the 300 gr bullets, it's an individual rifle thing. Some rifles will shoot them fine, some won't and it may depend upon how fast you can push them. The only way to tell is to try them. They might work for you.

Hope this helps some. BTW, the above figures were done with a 444 in mind. I realize you are looking at the 44 mag (1894) but the same generalities apply. I have both a slow twist and a fast twist rifle in 444 and can't find any significant difference with a 300 grain bullet. I had loaded up some for the 44 mag, but my son shot them through a revolver before I could get to the range to test them.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most of these guys have used more of the new stuff than I have, I tend to find something that works then stop looking! The 265 grain Hornady in my handloads shoot good and I depend on them for now, for bear or whatever. I'm real interested in the Nosler 250 grain partition in both handgun and rifle loads and cannot believe that they waited this long to bring out such a bullet in this caliber!(25 years)

I've had no problem taking deer with a medium performance bullet like the Speer 240 grain SP out to 150 yards, but would rather have a more all-around bullet like the Nosler since I have gotten to like my 1894 Cowbot Limited II so well that I find it difficult to want a comparable rifle to hunt with when I would like to rifle hunt.

Any of you folks out there that use this bullet, please don't hesitate to report on it.

G

·
Jayhawker said:
24th Mich
The 1 in 38" twist rate is ideal for the 240 grain bullet (actually the math is dependant on the overall length of the bullet, caliber, and velocity), but most rifles with this twist rate will shoot 270 gr bullets without a problem. For example, a .429 bullet at 2200 fps with a length of .770 would have an optimum twist rate of 1 in 35". That same bullet at only 1300 fps would have an optimum rate of 1 in 28". Except for Elmer Keith and a few others, not many people were shooting heavy bullets from a 44 caliber until recently. When Marlin introduced the 444 in 1964, I don't think they envisioned anything larger than a 240 gr bullet at 2400 fps being used so the twist rate seemed appropriate. With the 300 gr bullets, it's an individual rifle thing. Some rifles will shoot them fine, some won't and it may depend upon how fast you can push them. The only way to tell is to try them. They might work for you.

Hope this helps some. BTW, the above figures were done with a 444 in mind. I realize you are looking at the 44 mag (1894) but the same generalities apply. I have both a slow twist and a fast twist rifle in 444 and can't find any significant difference with a 300 grain bullet. I had loaded up some for the 44 mag, but my son shot them through a revolver before I could get to the range to test them.
This good information - no wonder the 240 grain JSP groups the best and has the best trajectory. Good solid hunting load also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts