Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Have finally got my new to me 44 mag marlin 1894 up and running in SASS. I'm shooting 44mag Bisley pistols and the marlin levergun. Have purchased a Big Lube mould for making Big Lube bullets as I want to shoot BPRC with home made lube.
The new mould drops the bullets at .333. I usually size my pistol bullets to .430. I have a .332 sizing die as well. What size is most likely to suit the marlin rifle in 44 mag, .430,.432 or .433?

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I would test all, but I use .433/.434 bullets in our older Marlin 44Mags. Marlin has very large throats and slightly over sized bores in there 44mags.

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Registered
953 Posts
SAAMI specs for 44 magnums are different from rifle to handgun. .429 for handguns and .431 for rifles. Because of this it is hard to get one cast lead bullet to work for both guns. I have a Ranch Dog 265 gr mould that drops bullets at .434. It is also cut so it drops 3 bullets for a gas check and 3 without. That works very well out of my Marlin but not out of my Super Blackhawk. When I size them to .433 and use the plain base bullets they work out of both guns then.

Key

Reactions: BubbaJon

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
What Key & Starbow sez. I find .433 works in my rifle best so I have a custom die for my Lyman that size.
I use the Lee sizer for the ones going into my Super Blackhawk which sizes at about .430
I must say it's kind of a pain keeping two sets of the same thing but I also tend to load my pistol rounds a little lighter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, thanks for that gentlemen, I was figuring to use .432, so I guess your answers lead that way as well. It sure is a pain to have the same bullet, only sized differently for pistol & rifle. Maybe I use the Marlin for BPRC in .432", and shoot cap & ball in the revolver. At least that way I wont have to worry about getting my pistol & rifle bullets mixed up!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.