Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a newer 1894. Need to buy ammo now. Which factory ammo cycle well through 1894 44 mag? Plinking? Deer?

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Winchester 240gn JHP or JSP. Accurate, powerfull and reliable.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Oz. I am glad you recommended that round, as it was the least expensive box at the Walmart store.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Birdshot, my brother ran over a tumbleweed about that size of the on in your avatar in his '72 GMC pickup once.

It promptly got stuck under the truck, making a scraping noise louder than his 350 with headers. It was highly entertaining removing it.

Jon

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
planeflyer21, I found that tumbleweed in area where dredgings from the lake had been dumped. Must have been fertile soil. It happens to be the biggest I have ever seen. It measured 29 feet circumference. That is close to 9' diameter. My wife runs them over also. I keep telling her she is going to set her wagon on fire.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
She might set it on fire!

He got his out by first attempting to have me hold it, while he gunned the throttle in reverse. That did little more than drag me in the dirt. Then he drove his truck back and forth through a small ditch, breaking the weed up enough that it finally broke apart.

I don't know if you've burned tumbleweeds before or not, but they burn fast and HOT.

Jon

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 1894 is only a few years old and I've yet to find anything it won't cycle. I've shot Winchester white box 240s, Fiochi 240 SPs (the ones in the red box made in Italy, Hornady 200gr hollow points, Leverevolution, Federal American Eagle 240 HPs, all performed as they should.

The vast majority of rounds through it have be Georgia Arms. 200gr lead round nose cowboy loads @ 750fps, 240gr lead swc @ 1100fps, 240gr FMJs @ 1000 fps, and my preferred hunting load 240gr Gold Dot (now called Unicore) Hollow point at 1325fps.

All velocites noted are apparently handgun barrel length velocities and are listed on the packaging.

I've killed deer, pigs, and a 300lbs--ish bear with the gold dots and at $27 for 50 its hard to beat. The cowboy loads are just plane fun, its kind of like a gun powder powered BB gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts