Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
8,086 Posts
M700,

My 1894 will shoot 2" to 2-1/2" at 100 yards with my loads using a skinner receiver peep and a 0.050" aperture. The rifle may do better than that, but like PJ says, I am the weak link. It has shot well with the H'dy 240 gr HP/XTP, the Rem 240 gr JSP component bullet, and an NEI #252 SWC-GC hard cast heat treated bullet. It didn't do so well with an LBT 300 gr LFN-GC hard cast heat treated bullet. So far, W-296, H-110, Li'l Gun have all worked pretty well. My most accurate loadings are with 240 grain bullets running 1,740 to 1,750 (chrono'd) using those powders. Loads with 2400 didn't get me up in that velocity range, nor were they as accurate as the other powders.

Overall, it seems like my 1894 has a penchant for the 240 gr bullets as opposed to the heavier bullets, and powders a bit on the slow side of the spectrum for the .44 Mag. Playing with different primers didn't make much of a difference, so long as I kept the velocity in that 1750 fps neighborhood.

I haven't played with bullets lighter than 240 grains -- yet, but have been toying with that idea. Seems like the 240 gr bullets have worked so well that I don't have much motivation to change.

· Premium Member
8,086 Posts
Guy,

I've gotten as much as 1,820 fps with a 240 gr bullet (can't remember which one though), but the accuracy went out the window. I dropped the charge weights back (23.0 gr of H-110/W-296 using a magnum primer and 23.5 gr of H-110/W-296 with a standard pistol primer) to get back into that 1,740 -1,750 fps neighborhood, and the nice groups came back in for me.

I can't remember the charge weights I tried using Li'l Gun, but keeping the velocity in that same neighborhood produced good accuracy. Have had quite a bit of difficulty getting Li'l Gun around here (I suppose because it is a pretty popular powder), so all of my heavy loads have been using W-296 lately.

After the last component shortage, all I was able to find for primers were the Winchester Large Pistol "for Standard or Magnum Loads" so have been using those since. Didn't really hurt my velocity or my accuracy much at all, and the reloads go bang in everything from -10*F to 80*F without pressure indications (in the warm weather). IIRC, I keep the charge weight of W-296 at 23.5 gr with those primers, and so far -- no worries.

Seems like I remember trying some 300 gr bullets at anywhere from 1,450 on up to 1,600 fps, but nothing was very impressive in the accuracy department from my 1894. Like you said, the 240's should do everything I need them to do and then some, and if it turns out I need more penetration than I can get from a 240 gr running 1,750 fps at the muzzle, then I guess I brought the wrong rifle. ;) ;D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.