Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Its pretty easy to break 2" @ 100 yards with a .44 Marlin. I have 4 that will all do it. Now that I've gotten older it is a WHOLE lot easier with my scoped Cowboy....... ;D

I've taken deer and elk both out to 150 yards fairly easily.

·
Registered
480 Posts
M700 said:
44LVR - you're taking elk with it too? Terrific!
More than you would believe for the past 35 years ;) And these aren't those pesky little ones you have on the dry side of the cascades. These are the BIG yahoo's on the Left(ist) side of the hill ;D

In my own defense, years ago no one told me that a .44 wouldn't kill an elk. It had killed all the deer and bear I wanted like a bolt of lightening. So it never occured to me that it may not be the 'optimum' caliber to handle elk :eek: It wasn't until I had taken about a dozen with .44 revolvers when I noticed folks were surpised that was what I was using. So I went out and killed a 1/2 dozen more with big magnum rifles and noticed they were about the same amount of dead. Back to 44's, 444's, 38-55's, 45-70's, etc and never looked back.

I better also make mention of the elk tracks out in my front lawn where a herd came through and tore things up the other day. Really made a mess of things. Tough to keep roses around and the fruit trees have to be fenced......sheesh its tough to live in elk country....but the hunting's good.. ;D ;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.