Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1894CB yesterday in .44-40... tried to slug the barrel with a .430 bullet and it came out at .429...is it safe to assume Marlin used the same barrels and just changed the chamber reamers between the .44-40 and the .44 Mag

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep.. that's what I was always led to believe...that's why I'm thinking they used a common barrel for both calibers and just changed the reamer...but of course I could be wrong......

G

·
Teal, your 1894CB 44-40 . Was it one of the original run or was it a factory conversion ? In "SHOOTING LEVER GUNS OF THE OLD WEST " by Venturinohe was sizing .427 for his 1894CB 44-40. Thats why I ask if you possibly had a conversion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's the original..was new in box....just hope that with the larger diameter bullet the case will chamber

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Heck,
I would prefer the .429. It would make it alot easier to get correct sized bullets for. Jacketed .427 are hard to find!!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
When I first got my 1894D, I slugged the barrel 3 times using .451 roundballs for my old cap & balls. Each time the micrometer read .4285".

I've noticed that cast (or jacketed) bullets of .430 or larger won't chamber due to a tight chamber neck. So, I size my cast to .429 which loads fine. I was a bit worried about some of the old High Velocity type loads using a .429/.430 bullet with the .4285 groove diameter, so I special ordered a .428 bullet sizing die from Lee and after using case lube on 'em I resize the jacketed bullets to .428 and they shoot fine.

Any know what the groove diameter of a 1894 in 44 Magnum is? I haven't had the chance to slug one. BTW, just for reference, a Rossi Puma in 44-40 slugged at .430.

Willy

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I don't have one, Willy, but Marshall over at Beartooth's claims they are .432, and that the best fit bullets for the 444 are that way as well.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
This subject came up some time ago on the old Marlin Talk forum, after I mentioned that I had checked new Marlins and found them ALL to have .429 bores.
Lots of people said no way, or other less polite replies, but it's true! I asked at my local dealer if I could check the new Marlins he had, and all were .429", so I think they share a common barrel!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts