Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was loading some 44-40 cases that I shot at H4 and had 6 cases wrinkle the sides.

View attachment 115283

Can these rounds be fired in a rifle? How much will it affect accuracy if they do fire? It is very easy to wrinkle a 44-40 case because they are so thin in the wall, in this case, the cases are too long and the roll crimp caused this. Should I toss them or fire them?

I am a curious sort so I decided to fire them, one was so out of shape that it would not chamber but I fired the other 5......Were they accurate? Here is the 50 yard target.

View attachment 115285

Not that bad, horizontal stringing was probably because of the cross wind, and 3 of the 5 cases smoothed out as good as new. The other 2 could be used but I have plenty of new 44-40 cases.

Just for your dining and dancing pleasure.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Looks plenty accurate to me. I'm surprised they even chambered. Was it because they are thin walled and could be leaned on a little harder or did they jump right in? Curious because I usually ruin a 32-20 or two along the way.

·
Premium Member
11,161 Posts
Dining and Dancing Pleasure!...................:congrats:

You PNW guys think of everything!.................I'd a shot them, too............as long as they could be chambered.........

Mighta' helped, if you wuz wearin' yer Boots and Robe during the reloading process.............:hmmmm:

Tom

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm not quite as fashion conscientious as Fernando. Besides, after the lube coloring fiasco.....my robe is RED.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Sparky,

The wrinkled case cartridges did not fall into the chamber.......all required a small amount of encouragement.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you touch them off then please check each case as you eject them!
If the front breaks of it will enter the barrel with the next bullet and that might cause all sorts of "joy" when the powder goes poof.

PS. The "turtle neck" is because you dont bell the case mouths enough before seating a bullet.

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
Hey Red,

Thought I had the monopoly on "reloading Uh-Oh's". LOL

Seems the slight "wrinkles" did not hurt the accuracy.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey Mark,

The wrinkles had little effect on accuracy. Some wrinkles that will not chamber are, of course, unusable but small wrinkles apparently do not matter. Quite often the wrinkle will iron out upon firing. The solution to the issue is to seat the bullet and then crimp in separate steps. The thin 44-40 case can be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
Hey Red,

Think it's great, that you posted ammo and targets.

Have shot numerous 30-06 and 22-250 with grease dents. Seemed to have little effect on the chrono or the target size.

Know a couple of fellows that fool with the 44-40. Like you, they say it is a "pain" to reload. Seat and crimp separately, and case lube. (so the crimp die "glides" on the case).

The volume (of 45 acp and 38 Special) that I reload, I just toss the "rejects" in a coffee can. When the can gets "full", then I pull them. (pistol/rifle/shotgun)

When I get enough brass, we scrap it. The lead goes into my buddy's pot. The powder goes on the weeds (mean grass). LOL

(we de cap the brass, prior to scrapping, you ought to hear those primers "pop" in the fire pit) LOL (one of the main reasons for a "reject" on progressive machines, is NO PRIMER, so there are relatively few primers in the "pit", and only an occasional "un usable" case) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Jim are you using a Lyman "M" die to bell the cases? I find that when using cast bullets in all my "necked" and "tapered" cartridges that loading is much easier with the inclusion of the "M" die. Should eliminate the crumpled brass issue.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most new 44-40 guns use a .429 in the last 20 yrs so get a lyman M-die for 44 special/ 44 mag not 44-40 . The expander you have is too small for the bullets you are using . If the die is setup correctly you should be able to hand seat the bullet like in pic . The 44-40 will not take a heavy crimp .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts